Geometry problem, area of a triangle

In summary, the triangle could have an area of 30 square cm if the base is 7.0 cm and the height is 11.0 cm.
LogarithmLuke

Homework Statement

One of the sides of a triangle is 7.0cm, another side is 11.0cm.

A Decide the biggest area this triangle can have.

B Make calculations and show how the triangle could look like if the area is 30 square cm.

Homework Equations

Area of a triangle: 0.5*g*h or 0.5*a*b*sinV

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i tried to think about it but i do not understand fully how to solve the problems. At first i tried to think about the triangle inequality theorem to find out the biggest length the third side could have. I am not desperately looking for answers to the problems, i just want better intuition and understanding so that i can solve similar problems in the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
LogarithmLuke said:
0.5*a*b*sinV
So what is the maximum of this expression?

Well, that's what i am struggling with. In my head it has to be 11 times the biggest length the last side can have. I am not too familiar with the sinus values of different angles.

From your problem statement: Assume a=7.0cm, b=11.0cm. The all you have to do is finding the maximum of sin(v) for all possible values of v.

Ah i see now, thanks :) How would you go about solving B?

And you should similarly be able to find v for the second question as well. You know v is the angle between a and b.

Svein said:
From your problem statement: Assume a=7.0cm, b=11.0cm. The all you have to do is finding the maximum of sin(v) for all possible values of v.

Equivalently but perhaps more elementary, area = ½ base X height. If you make one side the base, how does the other side have to be disposed to give you maximum height?

Last edited:
Yeah, you use the b*h when it's a right triangle, if it's not you got to use trigonometry. I see now that it has to be 90*degrees, but how can we be sure that's the way to solve the problem? How can we know that we don't have to calculate all of the angles using the cosine formula? I mean there are so many ways the triangle could look like.

Have you drawn sketches? The area is 1/2 x base x height. Pick one side to be the base. How does the height depend on the length of the second side and the angle?

1. How do you calculate the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is: A = (1/2) * base * height. This means you need to multiply the base of the triangle by the height and then divide the result by 2.

2. Can you explain the concept of base and height in a triangle?

The base of a triangle is the length of one of its sides, usually the bottom side. The height is the distance from the base to the highest point of the triangle, also known as the vertex.

3. How do I find the base or height if they are not given?

If the base and height of a triangle are not given, you can use other information such as the length of the other sides or the angles to find them. There are various formulas and methods for finding the base and height in different scenarios.

4. Can the area of a triangle be negative?

No, the area of a triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the space inside the triangle.

5. Are there any special cases for calculating the area of a triangle?

Yes, if the triangle is a right triangle (one of its angles is 90 degrees), you can use the formula A = (1/2) * base * height, where the base and height are the sides that form the right angle. Additionally, if the triangle is equilateral (all sides are equal), you can use the formula A = (sqrt(3)/4) * side^2, where side is the length of one of the sides of the triangle.