What is the method for calculating the dampening of thermal oscillations?

In summary, Nidum found that the general form of the heat equation is correct, but he doesn't know how to solve for the dampening of oscillations. He suggests looking into a textbook on partial differential equations.
James Brady
Hello,

I am attempting to solve the 1 d heat equation using separation of variables.

1d heat equation:

##\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \alpha \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}##

I used the standard separation of variables to get a solution. Without including boundary conditions right now, the solutions are:

##T(x,t) = f(x) \times g(t)##

where

##f(x) = A_1(sin(\sqrt{\lambda} x) + cos(\sqrt{\lambda} x))## and
##g(t) = A_1 e^{-\lambda \alpha t}##

other terms:
##\alpha =## thermal conductivity
##\lambda =## some constant (solved for in boundary conditions)
##A_1 =## some constant

I've worked through and have a decent grasp on many of the fixed boundary conditions solutions for this problem. I'm trying to model ground temperature with increasing depth, so I know need to have a periodic boundary condition at the surface to represent seasons and then constant temperature deep underground.

Boundary conditions:

##T(0,t) = T_0 + Asin(\frac{2 \pi t}{365} )## (ground surface)

##T(\infty, t) = T_0 ##

##\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{d T}{d x} = 0 ##

This paper gave the magnitude of thermal oscillations as decreasing in proportion to ##e^\frac{-x}{d_p}## where ##d_p = \sqrt{\alpha t_p/\pi}## is the period depth, t_p is the period time (365 days). I'm not sure how he got that decaying exponential, some kind of coefficient, but I haven't dealt with periodic boundary conditions before and it looks like he didn't use numerical methods to get this one?

Any idea how he was able to calculate the dampening of oscillations??

Physics news on Phys.org
Try T = T0 + Aei(ωt-βx)e-αx

Oh, and it's "damping". "Dampening" means making moist.

I've been playing with that solution for the past couple of days, a couple insights:
  • The method of separation of variables as described here won't work. The solution you provided has an x component in the imaginary exponential term as well as a time component, so it's not two independent functions multiplied.
  • The general form looks good although I know it can't be a diffusivity term on the last part, the units need to work out to be dimensionless. I guess according to Eskilson it's ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \alpha / \omega}}##, just not sure how he got that.
I see now how it's required to get that beta term in the sinusoidal function, it accounts for the fact that heat lags behind the wave on the surface. Do you know of any literature I can look into regarding heat functions like this?

Also thank you for the grammatical correction. =)

@Nidum looks like that'll be a lot of fun :ok:. Thanks, appreciate it.

1. What are damped thermal oscillations?

Damped thermal oscillations refer to the phenomenon where a system experiences repeated cycles of heating and cooling, but the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to energy dissipation.

2. What causes damped thermal oscillations?

Damped thermal oscillations are caused by the presence of damping forces, such as friction or resistance, which act to dissipate the energy of the oscillating system. This leads to a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

3. What are some examples of damped thermal oscillations?

One example of damped thermal oscillations is the heating and cooling of a metal rod as it is exposed to varying temperatures. Another example is the oscillations of a pendulum that gradually decrease in amplitude due to air resistance.

4. What factors affect the rate of damping in thermal oscillations?

The rate of damping in thermal oscillations is affected by the material properties of the system, such as its density and thermal conductivity. The presence of damping forces, such as friction or air resistance, also play a role in the rate of damping.

5. How is damped thermal oscillations different from undamped thermal oscillations?

The main difference between damped and undamped thermal oscillations is the presence of energy dissipation. In undamped oscillations, there is no external force acting to dissipate energy, so the amplitude of the oscillations remains constant. In damped oscillations, the amplitude gradually decreases over time due to the presence of damping forces.