Ray reflecting off intersecting mirrors

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors Ray
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of multiple reflections when the angle of incidence, represented by γ, is less than 0. The individual does not understand how a negative angle is possible and asks for clarification. The expert responds by suggesting to draw a diagram with a small angle theta to better understand the concept. After further discussion, it is clarified that the law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. However, the individual's diagram for the second reflection does not align with this law, leading to further confusion and a request for a new diagram.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1677384446103.png

The solution is,
1677384477316.png

1677384490654.png

I don't understand how if ## \gamma < 0## then there will be multiple reflections? I don't understand how ##\gamma## can be negative.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
I don't understand how if ## \gamma < 0## then there will be multiple reflections? I don't understand how ##\gamma## can be negative.

Many thanks!
Try drawing it with θ very small.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
Try drawing it with θ very small.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

Like this?
1677388295033.png

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:

Like this?
View attachment 322878
Many thanks!
First reflection looks fine, the second impossible. How do you figure out where a reflected ray goes?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
First reflection looks fine, the second impossible.

How do you figure out where a reflected ray goes?

Using the law of reflection

EDIT: Apologies, the diagram is not to scale. Let me know if you want me to redo it and I will use a better program (Microsoft paint instead of snip tool)

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Callumnc1 said:
Using the law of reflection
Which states …?

Angle of incidence is equal to angle of reflection

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:

Angle of incidence is equal to angle of reflection

Many thanks!
But what you drawn for the second reflection is nothing like that.
Draw the normal to the mirror where the ray hits it. The incident ray makes some angle theta to that normal. The reflected ray should also make angle theta to the normal, but on the other side of the normal.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
But what you drawn for the second reflection is nothing like that.
Draw the normal to the mirror where the ray hits it. The incident ray makes some angle theta to that normal. The reflected ray should also make angle theta to the normal, but on the other side of the normal.

I will draw another diagram. Sorry if my replies are a bit slow

Many thanks!

1. How does a ray of light reflect off intersecting mirrors?

When a ray of light hits an intersecting mirror, it follows the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (incoming ray) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing ray). This means that the incoming ray will bounce off the mirror at the same angle it hit the mirror.

2. What happens when multiple rays of light hit intersecting mirrors?

When multiple rays of light hit intersecting mirrors, they will all follow the law of reflection and bounce off at equal angles. This creates a complex pattern of reflected rays that can be seen when looking at intersecting mirrors.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection in intersecting mirrors?

The angle of incidence (incoming ray) and the angle of reflection (outgoing ray) are always equal in intersecting mirrors. This means that the angle of incidence will determine the angle at which the reflected ray will bounce off the mirror.

4. Can a ray of light get trapped between intersecting mirrors?

No, a ray of light cannot get trapped between intersecting mirrors. This is because the law of reflection states that the angle of incidence and angle of reflection are equal, so the ray will continue to bounce off the mirrors in a predictable pattern.

5. What is the difference between intersecting mirrors and parallel mirrors?

The main difference between intersecting mirrors and parallel mirrors is that intersecting mirrors meet at a point, while parallel mirrors do not intersect. This means that the reflected rays in intersecting mirrors will create a complex pattern, while the reflected rays in parallel mirrors will remain parallel to each other.