Rayleigh criterion and circular apertures- check my work?

In summary: The minimum angular separation for (a) is indeed 7.69e-3 degrees and for (b), the maximum distance is 11.2 km.
cep
Rayleigh criterion and circular apertures-- check my work?

Homework Statement

Think of the pupil of your eye as a circular aperture 5.00 mm in diameter. Assume you are viewing light of wavelength 550 nm, to which your eyes are maximally sensitive.
a) What is the minimum angular separation at which you can distinguish two stars?
b) What is the maximum distance at which you can distinguish the two headlights of a car mounted 1.50 m apart?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Theta[/itex]R = sin-1(1.22[itex]\lambda[/itex]/d) and sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] = 1.22[itex]\lambda[/itex]/d, where d is the diameter of the aperture and theta is the angle from the central axis through the opening to the first diffraction minimum. [itex]\Theta[/itex]R is the minimum resolvable angular separation in radians.

small angle approximations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure my answer to (a) is right. Due to the small angle approximation, [itex]\Theta[/itex]R = 1.22*5.5e-7/5e-3 = 1.34e-4 radians * (180/pi) = 7.69e-3 degrees.

I'm less sure about (b). Call the distance between the headlights s and the orthogonal distance from one headlight to your eye l. For small angles, sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] is approximately [itex]\Theta[/itex] is approximately tan[itex]\Theta[/itex] = s/l. Using the answer obtained in (a), s/l = 1.34e-4 radians. l = 1.5/1.34e-4 = 1.12e4 m = 11.2 km. I don't know what mistake I would've made, but that seems awfully far.

Let me know what you think! Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you are correct on both counts.

1. What is the Rayleigh criterion?

The Rayleigh criterion is a measure of the resolution limit of an optical system, specifically the minimum distance between two point sources of light that can be distinguished as separate points. It states that the two sources must be separated by at least the radius of the central bright spot in the diffraction pattern of the circular aperture.

2. How is the Rayleigh criterion calculated?

The Rayleigh criterion is calculated by taking the wavelength of the light being used and dividing it by the diameter of the circular aperture. The result is then multiplied by 1.22, which is a constant factor based on mathematical analysis of diffraction patterns.

3. What is the significance of circular apertures in the Rayleigh criterion?

Circular apertures are used in the Rayleigh criterion because they produce a distinct diffraction pattern with a central bright spot and concentric rings. This allows for easier measurement and calculation of the resolution limit compared to other aperture shapes.

4. How does the Rayleigh criterion apply to real-life optical systems?

The Rayleigh criterion is a theoretical concept that provides a limit to the resolution of an optical system. In practical applications, other factors such as lens quality, aberrations, and environmental conditions can affect the resolution and may not follow the exact predictions of the Rayleigh criterion.

5. Can the Rayleigh criterion be improved upon?

Yes, the Rayleigh criterion can be improved upon by using techniques such as superresolution or adaptive optics. These methods involve using advanced technology and algorithms to overcome the limitations of the Rayleigh criterion and achieve higher resolution in optical systems.