RC Circ, Capacitor charging Q....very lost

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a DC circuit problem involving resistors and capacitors. The equations for finding the equivalent resistance in series and parallel are mentioned. The concept of charging a capacitor and finding the voltage across it is also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to remove the capacitor from the circuit to find the potential between two points, and a mention of a voltage divider circuit.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

v1zBOJd.png

Homework Equations

Series: [itex]R_{eq} = R_1 + ... + R_n[/itex]

Parallel: [itex]R_{eq} = \left(\frac{1}{R_1} + ... + \frac{1}{R_n} \right)^{-1}[/itex]

Charging Capacitor: [itex]I = I_0 e^{-t/RC}[/itex]

Charging Capacitor: [itex]\Delta V_C = \varepsilon (1- e^{-t/RC})[/itex]

Charge: [itex]Q = C \Delta V_C[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to approach this. I know that the approach I've taken neither agrees with the answer in the back and doesn't make much logical sense in terms of everything else I know.

I made an assumption (a bad one I'm guessing) to treat, at least at first, the whole circuit like a parallel/series resistors problem to find the overall current through the circuit and then the voltage drops across the various components, in an attempt to find the voltage drop across the capacitor. The only problem with doing it that way is that the [itex]R_{eq}[/itex] across the circuit could be calculated to be 68 ohm (assuming the cap. is a 0 ohm component...I know, probably a very wrong assumption), which puts 1.5 Amp through the circuit overall, giving a 90 Volt drop across the first resistor, leaving 10 Volts to do work on the remaining components in parallel. But then if you continue from there, turns out the 40 Ohm resistor gets 0.25 amps, the resistor/capacitor combo should be getting 1.25 Amps, which puts a 12.5 Volt drop across the 10 Ohm resistor, which is too high.

What do I need to do to solve this problem? Do I need to use those logarithmic functions? How? Are there cut off points for how much voltage will get through that 10 Ohm resistor and onto the capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a DC circuit, when you want to find the steady state voltage across capacitors, remove the capacitors from the circuit and find the potential across the open terminals where they were connected.

In this case, remove the 2.0 μF capacitor and find the potential between the open end of the 10 Ω resistor and the bottom node.

Likes kostoglotov
An equivalent way of looking at it is to realize that no current flows through the 10 ohm resistor (as long as the switch has been closed, or open for that matter, for a long time).

Likes kostoglotov
Note that this part of the circuit ...

Voltage Divider.png

is called a "voltage divider". It essentially "divides" the voltage supplied by the battery, so that only a part of it is available to something connected across points A and B. By varying the sizes of the two resistors the voltage between points A and B can be varied to anything between zero and 100 V.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to control the flow of current and store electrical energy.

2. How does an RC circuit work?

In an RC circuit, when a voltage is applied, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the power source. As the capacitor charges, the current decreases due to the resistor's resistance. Once the capacitor is fully charged, no more current flows through the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The capacitor in an RC circuit acts as a temporary energy storage device. It charges up when the circuit is first turned on and then releases that stored energy as the circuit discharges.

4. How does a capacitor charge in an RC circuit?

A capacitor charges in an RC circuit by allowing current to flow through it until it reaches the same voltage as the power source. The amount of time it takes to fully charge depends on the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit.

5. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge to approximately 63% of its maximum charge. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values in the circuit.