Reacting to Life's Changes: Tips for Coping

• Thread starter jjson775
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary: E_{\pi}+E_{\mu}=E_{\nu}.$$Now you have the energy conservation equation in terms of the muon and neutrino energy.
jjson775
Homework Statement
A pion at rest (m = 270 me) decays to a muon (m = 206 me), and an anti neutrino (mv = apx. 0). See reaction below. Find the kinetic energy of the muon and the anti neutrino in electron volts. Hint: relativistic momentum is conserved.
Relevant Equations
See below
Reaction:
1612545920176.png
A02A9819-0A9E-40B8-B5E8-7E1692E2E20D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jjson775 said:
Homework Statement:: A pion at rest (m = 270 me) decays to a muon (m = 206 me), and an anti neutrino (mv = apx. 0). See reaction below. Find the kinetic energy of the muon and the anti neutrino in electron volts. Hint: relativistic momentum is conserved.
Relevant Equations:: See below

Reaction:
View attachment 277476View attachment 277477
It took me a while to decipher mv = apx. 0 as ##m_{\nu}\approx 0##. More importantly, I don't see the two necessary conservation equations. Plese repost them using symbols, not numbers, for each known and unknown quantity.

Last edited:
jjson775 said:
Homework Statement:: A pion at rest (m = 270 me) decays to a muon (m = 206 me), and an anti neutrino (mv = apx. 0). See reaction below.
Particle masses are given in ##MeV## because this is simpler than using ##kg##. There's no reason to convert to ##kg##.

PeroK said:
Particle masses are given in ##MeV## because this is simpler than using ##kg##. There's no reason to convert to ##kg##.
I think "me" stands for "electron mass", ##m_e.##

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
kuruman said:
It took me a while to decipher mv = apx. 0 as ##m_{\nu}\approx 0##. More importantly, I don't see the two necessary conservation equations. Plese repost them using symbols, not numbers, for each known and unknown quantity.
I don’t have any way to put symbols into either the Homework Statement or Relevant Equations using my iPad. Physics Forum does not allow cut and paste into these spaces. I have to input symbols with my Nuten app then paste into the “Work” space. What conservation equations do you men?

jjson775 said:
What conservation equations do you men?
Energy & momentum. What else?

jjson775 said:
I don’t have any way to put symbols into either the Homework Statement or Relevant Equations using my iPad. Physics Forum does not allow cut and paste into these spaces. I have to input symbols with my Nuten app then paste into the “Work” space. What conservation equations do you men?
Perhaps you can use LaTeX which is easy to learn. Just click (tap) LaTeX Guide, lower left just above "Attach files" on this screen for a quick guide.

kuruman said:
Perhaps you can use LaTeX which is easy to learn. Just click (tap) LaTeX Guide, lower left just above "Attach files" on this screen for a quick guide.
The guide says you can only display raw code using iOS. I think Nuten will work better for me but will have to be careful with the homework statement.

PeroK said:
kuruman said:
I think "me" stands for "electron mass", ##m_e.##
Correct. Sorry for the lack of subscript.

PeroK said:
in the photo of my work, just below the table, I believe both these are addressed. pu = pv(bar) implies conservation of momentum since the pion is at rest and the momenta of the recoiling particles must equal each other.

jjson775 said:
in the photo of my work, just below the table, I believe both these are addressed. pu = pv(bar) implies conservation of momentum since the pion is at rest and the momenta of the recoiling particles must equal each other.
My suggestion is to use ##M## for the Pion and ##m## for the muon and use Latex. E.g. $$E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2 c^4$$
Now, what about writing down the consefvations laws (without the numbers in kg).

1612578162016.png

This is how I showed momentum and energy in the photo of my work.

jjson775 said:
I'm not convinced you have much idea of how to solve this problem. Are you self-studying SR? Have you not seen material on particle decays and energy-momentum relations?

jjson775 said:
1612578162016.png

Look, the idea behind any conservation equation is that the conserved quantity before an event happens is the same after the event happens. This in itself doesn't say much, but if you can find ways to rewrite the "before" and "after" conserved quantity in terms of given variables, you are in business. I will get you started with the energy conservation equation.

First you write (as silly as it may sound) the energy conservation equation as $$E_{\text{before}}=E_{\text{after}}$$Then you decide what the "event" is. Here the event is a pion decaying from rest. Before the decay, you only have a pion. Obviously then ##E_{\text{before}} = E_{\pi}## where ##E_{\pi}## stands for "the energy of a pion at rest".

Next you look at the energy after and do the same thing. What do have after the decay? Answer: A neutrino and a muon. Obviously then ##E_{\text{after}} = E_{\mu}+ E_{\nu}## where ##E_{\mu}## and ##E_{\nu}## stand, respectively, for the energy of the muon and the energy of the neutrino.

Therefore the energy conservation equation can be transformed to $$ E_{\pi}=E_{\mu}+ E_{\nu}.$$The third step is rewriting the total energies of each particle. What is the relativistic total energy of a particle? Apply that to what you have here. In your attempt you wrote

##E_{\mu}^2=p^2c^2+(mc^2)^2##
##E_{\nu}^2=p^2c^2##
##E_{\pi}^2 =~##

You understand that you need to use the equation ##E^2=p^2c^2+(mc^2)^2## for the square of the total energy and you are careful to use subscripts to denote which energy you are talking about but not careful enough. You also need to use subscripts on the right side of the equations. Note your use of the same symbol ##p## to denote the momentum of both the muon and the neutrino after the decay. Masses of particles also need subscripts wherever they appear.

You were unable to find an expression for ##E_{\pi}^2##. Look at the general expression for the square of the total energy. How should it be rewritten if you have a pion at rest before it decays?

I got you started on the energy conservation equation. Similar steps need to be taken for the momentum conservation equation.

Likes Vanadium 50 and PeroK
... with these relativistic problems generally, if you are asked to find the KE, then the best approach is to find the total energy and then get the KE from that, by subtracting the rest energy. Introducing the KE into your equations too early just complicates things.

1612625590841.png

The quadratic equation still has 2 unknowns. What is it that I am not seeing with this straightforward problem?

jjson775 said:
View attachment 277526
The quadratic equation still has 2 unknowns. What is it that I am not seeing with this straightforward problem?
You're not using the other equations.

Don't square both sides, at least not yet. Rewrite each term as I asked you. Leave unknowns alone - they will be sorted out after you write the momentum conservation equation.

kuruman said:
jjson775 said:
The guide says you can only display raw code using iOS.
That comment refers to the dedicated PF apps that were once available for iOS and Android. They were discontinued a few years ago IIRC, in favor of simply using a web browser.

LaTeX displays fine in Safari and Firefox on my iPad. Kuruman and PeroK are using LaTeX in their posts, and you can see those equations, right?

To see the raw LaTeX code, hit the "Reply" link on a post so you get the entire post quoted in the editing box.

On a desktop or notebook Mac, control-click on an equation to get a popup menu, then choose Show Math As --> TeX Commands. I haven't found a similar trick on an iPad.

By the way, momentum is the Latin letter ##p##, not the Greek letter ##\rho## "rho".

Last edited:
jtbell said:
LaTeX displays fine in Safari and Firefox on my iPad. Kuruman and PeroK are using LaTeX in their posts, and you can see those equations, right?
LaTeX looks fine on my iPhone too with Safari and Firefox.

jtbell said:
That comment refers to the dedicated PF apps that were once available for iOS and Android. They were discontinued a few years ago IIRC, in favor of simply using a web browser.

To see the raw LaTeX code, hit the "Reply" link on a post so you get the entire post quoted in the editing box.

On a desktop or notebook Mac, control-click on an equation to get a popup menu, then choose Show Math As --> TeX Commands. I haven't found a similar trick on an iPad.

By the way, momentum is the Latin letter ##p##, not the Greek letter ##\rho## "rho".
Thanks, I will give LaTeX a shot. Also, I don’t know where I got the idea that momentum symbol is the Greek rho.

Likes kuruman
kuruman said:
Don't square both sides, at least not yet. Rewrite each term as I asked you. Leave unknowns alone - they will be sorted out after you write the momentum conservation equation.
I solved this problem although I had to go to the internet for another idea. The only trick was manipulating the algebra. Thanks for your suggestions.

Attachments

• 7F053444-E0A8-451B-BA71-50323A250FDC.jpeg
    7F053444-E0A8-451B-BA71-50323A250FDC.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 127
jjson775 said:
I solved this problem although I had to go to the internet for another idea. The only trick was manipulating the algebra. Thanks for your suggestions.
I still think you need to lose the habit of converting particle energies to joules, then back into ##MeV##. The ##eV## is designed to be the appropriate unit for these problems, and particle masses are typically given in ##MeV/c^2##.

Moreover, this is a standard problem of a mass ##M## decaying into a mass ##m## (particle 1) and a massless particle (2).

1) We have a common momentum ##p##.

2) Conservation of energy gives ##Mc^2 = E_1 + E_2##.

3) Using the E-M relation for each particle gives:

##E_1^2 - E_2^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4 - p^2c^2 = m^2c^4##

4) ##E_1^2 - E_2^2 = (E_1 - E_2)(E_1 + E_2) = (E_1 - E_2)Mc^2##

5) Equations 3) and 4) give:

##E_1 - E_2 = \frac{m^2c^2}{M}##

6) Combining equations 2) and 5) gives:

##E_1 = \frac{(M^2 + m^2)c^2}{2M}, \ \ E_2 = \frac{(M^2 - m^2)c^2}{2M}##

7) To get the kinetic energy we subtract the rest energy:

##K_1 = E_1 - mc^2 = \frac{(M-m)^2c^2}{2M}, \ \ K_2 = E_2##

8) In this case we have ##M = 270m_e##, ##m = 206 m_e## and ##m_e = 0.511MeV##, giving:

##K_1 = 7.58m_e c^2 = 3.88MeV## and ##K_2 = 56.4m_ec^2 = 28.8MeV##

Likes jjson775

1. How can I cope with unexpected changes in my life?

One way to cope with unexpected changes in life is to focus on the present moment and practice mindfulness. This can help you to accept the change and adapt to it more easily. It can also be helpful to talk to a trusted friend or therapist about your feelings and concerns.

2. What are some healthy ways to deal with stress during major life changes?

Some healthy ways to deal with stress during major life changes include exercise, getting enough sleep, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. It can also be helpful to maintain a healthy diet and avoid turning to unhealthy coping mechanisms like drugs or alcohol.

3. How can I stay positive during difficult life changes?

Staying positive during difficult life changes can be challenging, but it can be helpful to focus on the things that you can control and find ways to make the best of the situation. It can also be helpful to practice gratitude and remind yourself of the things that you are grateful for in your life.

4. What are some ways to build resilience in the face of change?

Building resilience can help you to better cope with life's changes. Some ways to build resilience include developing a strong support system, setting realistic goals, and practicing self-care. It can also be helpful to reframe negative thoughts and focus on finding solutions rather than dwelling on problems.

5. How can I prepare for major life changes?

While it's impossible to prepare for every possible life change, there are some things you can do to make the transition smoother. These include having a financial plan in place, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and being open to new experiences and opportunities. It can also be helpful to practice flexibility and adaptability, as life is full of unexpected changes.