Reaction kinetics + Gillespie algorithm: Propensity function?

In summary, the propensity functions are the rates or rate constants for the reactions, based on the number of molecules present in the system. To convert from molarity-based rate constants to number of molecules-based ones, the volume of the system and number of molecules of the reactant/product is needed. The updating of numbers of reactants and products is done by subtracting and adding molecules when the reaction occurs.
maistral
TL;DR Summary
What is a propensity function? And some other questions.
I'm trying to simulate a simple series reaction stochastically using Gillespie's algorithm. I found this file:

95984733_623404015051786_185437712675766272_n.png

1. What is this 'propensity function'? Say for example I have the simple reactions:

A --(k1)--> R
    R--(k2)--> S

are these 'propensity functions' the rates (a wild guess)? I mean;
    α1 = k1[A]
    α2 = k2[R],

where [A] and [R] are the number of molecules of A and R?
  2. I am assuming that these 'rate constants' are based on the number of molecules themselves, and not the 'molarity'. I also read from an article (Stochastic chemical kinetics by Lecca) that they're supposed to be different (the rate constants based on the molarity are 'continuous' or something). How do I convert the rate constants from the molarity-based ones to the number of molecules-based ones?
  3. With regards to the updating of the numbers of reactants and products, assuming the simple reactions

A --(k1)--> R
    R--(k2)--> S

are taken into consideration, and that the first reaction is supposed to be occurring, am I correct to assume that I subtract one molecule A and add one molecule R?

Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the propensity functions are the rates (or rate constants) k1 and k2 for your two reactions. They are based on the number of molecules present in the system and not the molarity. To convert from the molarity-based rate constants to the number of molecules-based ones, you will need to know the volume of the system and the number of molecules of the reactant/product in question.The updating of the numbers of reactants and products is correct. For the reaction A --(k1)--> R, you would subtract one molecule of A and add one molecule of R when it occurs.

1. What is reaction kinetics and how is it related to the Gillespie algorithm?

Reaction kinetics is the study of the rates and mechanisms of chemical reactions. The Gillespie algorithm is a computational method used to simulate the time evolution of a system of chemical reactions, based on the principles of reaction kinetics.

2. What is a propensity function in the context of the Gillespie algorithm?

A propensity function is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood or probability of a particular reaction occurring in a given time interval. It is a key component of the Gillespie algorithm, as it helps determine which reactions will take place and when.

3. How is the Gillespie algorithm used in scientific research?

The Gillespie algorithm is commonly used in the field of systems biology and other areas of scientific research to model and simulate complex chemical reactions. It allows scientists to study the behavior of a system over time and make predictions about how it will respond to different conditions or perturbations.

4. What are the advantages of using the Gillespie algorithm over other methods?

The Gillespie algorithm is a stochastic method, meaning it takes into account the random nature of chemical reactions. This makes it more accurate for modeling systems with low reactant concentrations or complex reaction networks. It is also computationally efficient and can handle a large number of reactions and species.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Gillespie algorithm?

While the Gillespie algorithm is a powerful tool for studying reaction kinetics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that reactions occur instantaneously and that there is no spatial variation within the system. It also requires a detailed knowledge of the reaction network and accurate rate constants, which may not always be available.