Reaction of I- & H2O2: Rate of H2 Appearance

In summary, the rate of appearance of I2 in aqueous solution changes from 3.7*10^-5 mol/dm^3 to 7.9*10^-5 mol/dm^3 over a time interval of 1.0 to 3.0s in the reaction between 2H+(aq), 2I-(aq), and H2O2(aq). The rate of appearance of H2 during this period can be calculated using the formula delta[H2]/delta t, and the rate of change of the concentration of H+ ions can be determined by multiplying the rate of appearance of H2 by the ratio of 2 mol(H+)/1 mol(H2). This mechanism is not likely to occur
lapo3399
Question
The rate of appearance of I2 in aqueous solution, in the reaction of the I- ion with hydrogen peroxide, was found to change from 3.7*10^-5 mol/dm^3 to 7.9*10^-5 mol/dm^3 over a time interval of 1.0 to 3.0s.
2H+(aq) + 2I-(aq) + H2O2(aq) --> I2(aq) + 2H2O(l)
a)What is the rate of appearance of H2 during this period?
b) At what rate should the concentration of the H+ ion be changing during this same time period?
c) Is this mechanism likely to occur in one step?

Attempt
a) rate(H2) = rate(I2)
rate(H2)=delta

/delta t
rate(H2)=(7.9*10^-5 mol/dm^3-3.7*10^-5 mol/dm^3)/(3.0s-1.0s)
rate(H2)=2.1*10^-5 mol/(dm^3*s)
b)mol(H+)/mol(H2)=2/1 = 2
Therefore rate(H+)=2*(-2.1*10^-5 mol/(dm^3*s))
=-4.2*10^-5 mol/(dm^3*s)
c) No, it is not likely to occur in one step, as the overall reaction is not elementary: it has a molecularity of 5, and a molecularity of 3 or less must exist to ensure a one-step (elementary) mechanism.

I am unsure about the whole process. Please tell me if I did this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your calculations for part a and b appear to be correct. For part c, you are correct in saying that this reaction is not likely to occur in one step. In order for a reaction to be considered an elementary reaction (occurring in one step), it must have a molecularity of 3 or less. Molecularity refers to the number of molecules involved in the rate-determining step of the reaction. In this case, the overall reaction has a molecularity of 5, indicating that it involves 5 molecules in the rate-determining step. Therefore, it is likely that this reaction occurs through a series of multiple steps rather than one single step.

Overall, your response to the forum post is well thought out and accurate. Keep up the good work!

Your calculations for part a and b are correct. However, for part c, it is not necessary to calculate the molecularity of the reaction. The reaction mechanism can be determined by observing the reactants and products and considering the steps involved. In this case, the reaction is likely to occur in multiple steps, as it involves the formation of multiple products (I2 and H2O) from multiple reactants (H+, I-, and H2O2). This suggests a more complex reaction mechanism involving intermediate steps.

What is the reaction of I- & H2O2?

The reaction of I- (iodide) and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) is an oxidation-reduction reaction that produces water and oxygen gas. The chemical equation for this reaction is: 2I- + 2H2O2 → 2H2O + O2 + 2I-

What factors affect the rate of H2 appearance in this reaction?

The rate of H2 appearance in this reaction can be affected by several factors including concentration of reactants, temperature, catalysts, and surface area. Increasing the concentration of reactants and temperature typically increases the rate of the reaction. The presence of a catalyst can also speed up the reaction, while increasing the surface area of the reactants can also increase the rate by providing more contact points for the reaction to occur.

What is the purpose of studying the rate of H2 appearance in this reaction?

The purpose of studying the rate of H2 appearance in this reaction is to understand the kinetics of the reaction and the factors that influence it. This information can be useful in various industrial processes where this reaction is used, such as in the production of plastics and other chemical products.

How is the rate of H2 appearance measured in this reaction?

The rate of H2 appearance in this reaction can be measured by monitoring the change in volume of the gas produced over time. This can be done using a gas syringe or by collecting the gas in a graduated cylinder or burette. The rate can also be calculated by measuring the change in concentration of one of the reactants or products over time.

What is the significance of the rate of H2 appearance in this reaction?

The rate of H2 appearance in this reaction is significant because it provides insight into the speed at which the reaction occurs and the efficiency of the reaction. It can also be used to determine the order of the reaction and the rate constant, which can be useful in predicting and controlling the reaction in practical applications.