Reaction of Metal salt with Sulphuric acid

In summary, sulfuric acid is able to displace more volatile acids from metal salts such as NaCl, resulting in the formation of HCl and Na2SO4. This is due to the solubility and ionization of both NaCl and sulfuric acid in water. Other non-volatile acids can also be used, but sulfuric acid is preferred for obtaining pure HCl.
Titan97
Gold Member
Its given in my book that Sulphuric acid displaces more volatile acid from Metal salts like NaCl.
That is, NaCl + H2SO4→ HCl + Na2SO4
What does valtility have to do with such reactions?
Or Should I just accept it as a fact?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Label reactants and products with their states/phases at standard conditions.

NaCl is solid, Sulphuric acid is liquid?

And products?

Titan97 said:
Its given in my book that Sulphuric acid displaces more volatile acid from Metal salts like NaCl.
That is, NaCl + H2SO4→ HCl + Na2SO4
What does valtility have to do with such reactions?
Or Should I just accept it as a fact?
NaCl is fairly soluble in water, and sulfuric acid is very soluble in water, and both are very much ionized when dissolved in water. You have a solution of ions. (I really should check on the solubility of sodium sulfate just to be more thorough and correct in my comment).

As written, reaction is not necessarily in aqueous solution.
Edit: see Sharks and Little Fish, Wolfgang Ott, and/or Das Boot for the aqueous case (chlorine evolution).

Sulphuric acid is not volatile hence it does not come out with HCl gas. Other acids can be used as well. But nonvolatile acide like sulphuric acid is preferred to get pure HCI. Am I correct?

Titan97 said:
hence it does not come out with HCl gas
Yes. "Pure?" Depends.

Likes Titan97

What is the reaction between a metal salt and sulphuric acid?

The reaction between a metal salt and sulphuric acid is a double displacement reaction in which the metal cation of the salt replaces the hydrogen ion of the acid to form a metal sulphate and water.

What are the products of the reaction between a metal salt and sulphuric acid?

The products of the reaction between a metal salt and sulphuric acid are a metal sulphate and water. The metal sulphate is a salt that is soluble in water.

What factors affect the rate of reaction between a metal salt and sulphuric acid?

The rate of reaction between a metal salt and sulphuric acid can be affected by factors such as concentration of the reactants, temperature, surface area of the reactants, and the presence of a catalyst.

Can any metal salt be used in the reaction with sulphuric acid?

No, not all metal salts can be used in the reaction with sulphuric acid. Only metals that are more reactive than hydrogen, such as sodium, potassium, and calcium, can react with sulphuric acid to form a metal sulphate.

What happens if an excess of sulphuric acid is used in the reaction with a metal salt?

If an excess of sulphuric acid is used in the reaction with a metal salt, it will not change the products of the reaction. However, it may result in an acidic solution and can be dangerous if handled improperly.