What is the relationship between temperature and reaction rate?

In summary, temperature has a significant impact on the rate of a chemical reaction. As temperature increases, so does the rate of reaction due to increased kinetic energy and more frequent collisions. The ideal temperature for a reaction varies, but most reactions occur faster at higher temperatures. Temperature also affects the activation energy, with higher temperatures leading to a decrease in activation energy. Additionally, temperature can affect the selectivity of a reaction, either increasing or decreasing it depending on the specific reaction. However, there is a limit to how much temperature can increase the rate of a reaction, as other factors may come into play.
i_love_science
Homework Statement
In general, if the temperature of a reaction is raised from 300 K to 320 K, the reaction rate will increase by a factor of approximately
A) 320 K/300 K
B) 22°C/2°C
C) 4
D) 2
Relevant Equations
Arrhenius equation
I think I should use ln(K2/K1)=Ea/R(1/T1 - 1/T2), and find K2/K1. I am given T1 and T2, but not Ea. I'm not sure how to continue.
Thanks.

(note: the answer is C)

Physics news on Phys.org
That's only a rule of thumb, but for many reactions Ea is such that increasing temperature by 10 deg increases the rate about twice.

Likes Chestermiller and i_love_science

1. What is the relationship between temperature and reaction rate?

The higher the temperature, the faster the reaction rate. This is due to the fact that an increase in temperature leads to an increase in the kinetic energy of the molecules, causing them to move and collide more frequently and with more force, resulting in a faster reaction rate.

2. Why does temperature affect reaction rate?

Temperature affects reaction rate because it influences the speed at which molecules move and collide with each other. Higher temperatures increase the average kinetic energy of the molecules, making them move and react faster.

3. Is there a specific temperature that yields the fastest reaction rate?

Yes, there is an optimal temperature for each reaction that yields the fastest reaction rate. This temperature is known as the "activation energy" and varies for different reactions. Going above or below this temperature can decrease the reaction rate.

4. Can temperature have a negative effect on reaction rate?

Yes, extremely high temperatures can have a negative effect on reaction rate. This is because at very high temperatures, the molecules may have too much energy and can break apart or react in unintended ways, slowing down the overall reaction rate.

5. How does temperature affect the rate of a chemical reaction in a closed system?

In a closed system, the temperature of the reaction mixture will reach an equilibrium temperature, where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. Increasing the temperature can shift this equilibrium towards the products, resulting in a higher reaction rate.