Why is the Reaction Rate Directly Proportional to Sulfuric Acid Concentration?

In summary: To explain this quantitatively, the experiments show that the order of reaction with respect to sulfuric acid is 1, meaning that the reaction rate is directly proportional to the concentration of sulfuric acid. This can be explained by finding the rate determining step of the reaction and using the coefficients as the powers. However, since the reaction mechanism is unknown, it is not possible to determine the exact rate determining step.
Positralino
The reaction I did for the lab is:
H2SO4 + Mg --> MgSO4 + H2

In my graph, there displays the two variables - the concentration of sulfuric acid and the average rate of reaction in direct proportion. How do I explain the trend?

I know I can explain this qualitatively using collision theory, but to explain why they are in direct proportion requires the rate law from what I know.

Since the graph shows a linear relationship, the experiments show that the order of reaction with respect to sulfuric acid is 1. I think I need to explain this by finding the rate determining step of this reaction and putting the coefficients as the powers, but I do not know the reaction mechanism. Can anyone help me out here and explain why it is this reaction mechanism and which is the rate determining step?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rate law for this reaction is rate = k[H2SO4], which means that the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of sulfuric acid. This is because the rate of the reaction is determined by the frequency of collisions between molecules of sulfuric acid and molecules of magnesium, which increases as the concentration of sulfuric acid increases. According to collision theory, the frequency of collisions is proportional to the concentrations of the reactants. Therefore, the rate of reaction increases as the concentration of sulfuric acid increases, resulting in a direct proportion between the concentration of sulfuric acid and the average rate of reaction.

1. What is a reaction rate and why is it important to study?

A reaction rate is the measure of how quickly a chemical reaction takes place. It is important to study because it can provide valuable information about the nature of the reaction, as well as the factors that affect its rate.

2. How is the reaction rate measured in a lab setting?

In a lab setting, the reaction rate can be measured by tracking the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer, pH meter, or other analytical instruments.

3. What factors can influence the reaction rate?

The reaction rate can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants and products, presence of catalysts, and surface area of reactants. Changes in these factors can either increase or decrease the reaction rate.

4. How do we calculate the reaction rate from experimental data?

The reaction rate can be calculated by determining the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a specific time interval. This change is then divided by the time interval to obtain the average rate of the reaction.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a reaction rate lab experiment?

Some potential sources of error in a reaction rate lab experiment include human error in measuring and recording data, impurities in the reactants, and variations in experimental conditions such as temperature and pressure. It is important to identify and address these sources of error to ensure accurate results.