Reading your own years-old threads

In summary, the speaker reflects on reading their old posts and feeling embarrassed by their past ignorance and dumbness. They also mention finding some of their past replies clever and witty. However, they feel like they are reading someone else's writing because they have forgotten most of it. The speaker suggests others try reading their old posts for fun, but they also have mixed feelings about their past writing. They mention receiving letters from their mother and realizing they used to be a clever writer, but now focus more on technical writing. They express a longing to be able to write like they did in the past.
I_am_learning
I was browsing through 4-5 years old threads started by myself, and reading them, just for the sake of it. I can't believe I was that ignorant, and that dumb sometimes. Its embarrassing to read some of the replies I made back then, how could I not get it still? But, I also find some of my replies more clever, and witty, back then than I write these days. The most weird thing is Its like reading somebody else's writing, because I have long forgotten most of it. Of course, for many of you guys, who have always been awesome, it might be boring seeing the same old awesomeness. :)

Do you people ever do that? Read your old posts. If not, you might give it a try, its fun. :)

Likes lisab, Lisa! and Medicol
Physics news on Phys.org
I always feel good after getting any physics papers done but a couple of months later while reading any of them again, I always feel bad and dumb about my own writings.
:DD It's all over anyway.

Last edited:
Likes I_am_learning
I have mixed feelings about things I wrote years past.

My mother recently sent me letters I wrote to her in the first year after I moved out on my own. My god I was a clever writer back then, nothing like the just-the-facts type of writing I do now! I suppose it's the consequence of years of technical writing in my schooling and my career.

I kind of miss being able to write like that, honestly.

Likes I_am_learning
I read some of my older threads from my high school days. I wish I hadn't.

I understand the concept of growth and change over time. It is natural for our perspectives and understanding to evolve as we gather new information and experiences. It is not uncommon for individuals to look back on their past thoughts and actions and feel a sense of embarrassment or even surprise at their previous mindset.

In regards to reading old threads, it can be a valuable exercise to reflect on our past selves and see how far we have come. It allows us to acknowledge our growth and also learn from our past mistakes. It can also be interesting to see how our thoughts and opinions have shifted over time.

Furthermore, as a scientist, I would encourage individuals to continuously question and challenge their own beliefs and ideas. This can lead to a deeper understanding and a more well-rounded perspective. So, I do believe that reading old posts can be a beneficial practice, as long as it is done with an open mind and a willingness to learn and grow.

What is the purpose of reading my own years-old threads?

Reading your own years-old threads can serve as a form of self-reflection and self-evaluation. It allows you to see how your thoughts and perspectives have evolved over time and can help you identify patterns in your thinking.

Why is it important to read my own years-old threads?

Reading your own years-old threads can help you gain a better understanding of your past experiences and decisions. It can also provide valuable insights into your growth and development as a person.

What can I learn from reading my own years-old threads?

By reading your own years-old threads, you can learn about your past thought processes, emotions, and behaviors. This can help you identify areas for improvement and make positive changes in your life.

What should I keep in mind when reading my own years-old threads?

It is important to approach reading your own years-old threads with an open mind and without judgment. Remember that your thoughts and perspectives may have changed since the time you wrote them, and that is a natural part of personal growth and development.

How often should I read my own years-old threads?

There is no set frequency for reading your own years-old threads. It is a personal choice and depends on your individual goals and needs. Some people may find it helpful to read them regularly, while others may prefer to do so sporadically.