Real Quasar Image: Gamma Radiation Burst on Science Channel Program

In summary: There are some quasars which have high redshift, but they are still located in our own galaxy. Gamma ray bursts are a much more extreme form of light and are not detectable by any of our current telescopes.
QuarkCharmer
I saw a real image of a quasar bursting out gamma radiation on a science channel program and I am having trouble finding the image, or any like it on the internet. All I can find are CG rendered things, and IR/UV images. The photo that I am referring to looked a bit like the Hubble deep field photos, but it had a giant blue beam coming through it towards the camera. You could not miss it.

Is there some specific keyword I should be using to search for this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I tried on google for a few minutes but didn't see anything like what you are describing. I would be interested in seeing it as well. What was the show you watched called?

It was called "How the universe works" (Narrated by Mike Rowe). The episode on black holes had what they claimed was (and what looked like) a real image of the gamma beam. I just wanted to see more images like it, it was impressive albeit low-res.

The relativistic jet from M87? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M87_jet.jpg

If so, that's not a quasar; it's just an ordinary active galactic nucleus. M87 is only 50 million light years away, whereas the nearest quasar is at 2 billion ly.

That is indeed the picture! Thanks. They clearly stated that it was the gamma burst from a quasar in the program.:eek: But they were also talking about black holes and whatnot. I'm going to have to re-watch that, clearly I misunderstood what they said.

QuarkCharmer said:
That is indeed the picture! Thanks. They clearly stated that it was the gamma burst from a quasar in the program.:eek: But they were also talking about black holes and whatnot. I'm going to have to re-watch that, clearly I misunderstood what they said.

It wouldn't surprise me if the program got the facts completely wrong. The first problem is that M87 is not a quasar. The second is that gamma ray bursts look nothing like relativistic jets. They're so distant, and caused by objects so small in extent (namely supernovae and binary neutron star mergers) that the best conceivable telescopes can't reveal them as more than a point. The third problem is that gamma ray bursts emit gamma rays, which Hubble doesn't have the capability to detect.

Related to Real Quasar Image: Gamma Radiation Burst on Science Channel Program

1. What is a quasar image?

A quasar image refers to an image captured by telescopes or other imaging devices of a distant, extremely bright and energetic object known as a quasar. These images are often used by scientists to study the properties and behavior of quasars.

2. How are quasar images formed?

Quasar images are formed when light from the quasar travels through space and is captured by telescopes or other imaging devices. The light that reaches us has traveled for billions of years, giving us a glimpse into the distant past.

3. What information can be obtained from quasar images?

Quasar images can provide scientists with valuable information about the properties and behavior of quasars, such as their brightness, size, and distance from Earth. These images can also help us understand the evolution and structure of the universe.

4. How do scientists use quasar images in their research?

Scientists use quasar images in a variety of ways, including studying the effects of gravitational lensing, measuring the expansion of the universe, and searching for new quasars. They also compare images taken at different wavelengths to gain a better understanding of the quasar's properties.

5. Can quasar images help us understand the early universe?

Yes, quasar images are an important tool in studying the early universe. Since quasars are some of the oldest and most distant objects in the universe, their images can provide us with information about the conditions and processes that existed in the early universe. This can help us better understand how the universe evolved over time.