Recent Early Universe Cosmology Review - Funding Essay

In summary, the individual is looking for a recent review article on early universe cosmology in order to refresh their knowledge for a funding essay. They are specifically interested in recent developments, such as non-minimal coupled Higgs driven inflation and models with high production of tensor modes. However, the most recent review article available is from 2011 and recent developments may only be found through searching for specific papers or keeping up with current research through a journal club. The individual is unsure if this information is necessary for their committee, but wants to demonstrate a breadth of knowledge. The purpose of this request is not specified, but may be for a qualifying oral exam.
lasm2000
I am currently writing a funding essay for a (taught) postgraduate degree and I'd rather have a refresher on modern cosmology. As such, is anyone around aware of a recent early universe review article in the arxiv? I am not keen on learning the "basic stuff", just a review article of what has been recently been done in early universe cosmology.

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks. Yes, that kind of reviews. There has been some considerable activity since then, tho. For example, I recall some non minimal coupled Higgs driven inflation that was more or less popular not so long ago. Also the funky models with high production of tensor modes from the BICEPS2 rage from the past year (axion monodromy and the like).

lasm2000 said:
Thanks. Yes, that kind of reviews. There has been some considerable activity since then, tho. For example, I recall some non minimal coupled Higgs driven inflation that was more or less popular not so long ago. Also the funky models with high production of tensor modes from the BICEPS2 rage from the past year (axion monodromy and the like).
I'm not entirely sure if there's a good review that's more recent. I do know that good reviews only pop up once every few years or so, though.

But one small comment on BICEP2: the 2015 Planck results showed that it was an erroneous result due to incomplete foreground subtraction. There is currently no evidence of primordial B-modes.

Oh yes, I am aware of that. But thing is, I want to somehow show the comitee that I have some idea of what has been done in the past years. Which indeed, includes lots of misguided work after the BICEPS2 affaire but which clearly dominated the discussion past year.

Unfortunately I'm really not sure that's available in any one, easily-summarized location. If your institution has a journal club, that's usually a great way to keep up on current research. If that journal club sends out e-mails that contain the papers discussed, you could search through that e-mail history and get a good list of papers to look at (assuming you're on the recipient list).

I don't know what your committee would be looking for, but I doubt they'd really care that much about you knowing much in the way of specific things that aren't directly impacting your specific research. If they are interested in you demonstrating some display of breadth, they'll probably let you direct that discussion to some degree.

If I might ask, is this for a qualifying oral exam?

Related to Recent Early Universe Cosmology Review - Funding Essay

What is the purpose of the "Recent Early Universe Cosmology Review - Funding Essay"?

The purpose of the essay is to provide a comprehensive review of recent advancements in early universe cosmology and to make a case for continued funding towards research in this field.

What topics are covered in the essay?

The essay covers topics such as inflation, cosmic microwave background radiation, dark matter and dark energy, and the search for evidence of cosmic inflation. It also discusses the importance of early universe cosmology in understanding the origins and evolution of the universe.

Why is funding for early universe cosmology research important?

Funding for early universe cosmology research is important because it allows scientists to continue studying and understanding the origins and evolution of the universe. This research can also lead to technological advancements and a deeper understanding of fundamental physics.

What recent advancements in early universe cosmology are highlighted in the essay?

The essay highlights recent advancements such as the discovery of gravitational waves, the mapping of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the search for evidence of cosmic inflation through the detection of primordial gravitational waves.

How can the general public benefit from funding towards early universe cosmology research?

The general public can benefit from funding towards early universe cosmology research through a better understanding of the universe and our place in it. This research can also lead to technological advancements that can improve our daily lives, such as new imaging techniques and advancements in space travel.