Recommendation for an Advanced Calculus text

In summary, the person is looking for a good text on advanced calculus for self-study. They are unsure of what exactly advanced calculus entails, but they have completed courses in linear algebra and calculus. Recommendations for texts include Spivak's "Calculus" and Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". These texts cover real analysis and the calculus of complex variables, which would prepare them for more rigorous courses in differential equations.
mateomy
Lookin' for a good text on Advanced Calculus for self-study. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by advanced calculus? Do you mean the calculus of multivariable or vector-valued functions? Or do you mean real analysis? Or perhaps the calculus of complex variable functions or complex analysis? There are many topics that are referred to as advanced calculus, but they are not all contained in any single text that I know of.

I guess that's my problem then. I've finished a course in linear algebra and all my (3 semesters) of calculus. So anything which would be accesable to me from this point would be good. Sorry for the ambiguity.

In that case, you have probably covered basic vector calculus (the Gibbs formulation). You should probably study real analysis, which is the rigorous theory behind calculus, and the calculus of complex variables. These would both prepare you for rigorous courses in differential equations.
A nice segue into real analysis is Spivak's text "Calculus", as it is rigorous where most other texts are not, and a very friendly read compared to some dense analysis texts, as it bases most of its theorems on ideas you already know from your calculus courses, but with more detail. A proper analysis text (that is, one that covers the fundamentals like measure theory and topology) would be Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". If you have taken a proper theory-based course of linear algebra using proofs, you should be ready to work through this.

Awesome. Thanks for the recs.

1. What is the best advanced calculus textbook for beginners?

The best advanced calculus textbook for beginners is subjective, as different textbooks may suit different learning styles. However, some popular choices among mathematicians include "Advanced Calculus" by Gerald B. Folland and "Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications" by Gerald Folland.

2. Is there a specific advanced calculus textbook recommended for self-study?

Yes, "Advanced Calculus: A Transition to Analysis" by Thomas P. Dence and Joseph B. Dence is often recommended for self-study as it includes a variety of exercises and examples for self-testing and learning.

3. Are there any advanced calculus textbooks that focus on applications rather than theory?

Yes, "Advanced Calculus for Applications" by Francis B. Hildebrand is a popular textbook that focuses on applications of advanced calculus in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is the difference between advanced calculus and real analysis?

Advanced calculus is a more applied and computational version of real analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of real numbers and functions. Advanced calculus often involves the use of techniques from real analysis to solve problems in various fields.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement an advanced calculus textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and study guides that can supplement an advanced calculus textbook. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes.