Recommendations for free browser-independent bookmark managers

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, Lastpass is a good choice for online password storage because it is able to work on multiple browsers and can be synced between devices.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Any recommendation for a free bookmark manager that stores bookmarks in the cloud, and can be used on any browser?
Recently I migrated to Lastpass from Chrome Password Manager. I wanted something that can work on multiple browsers simultaneously, and I had seen Lastpass being recommended many times here in PF, so I created an account and imported the passwords. It seems to work fine as of now.

Can anyone recommend any trustworthy, free bookmark manager that can be used across all major browsers (Chrome, Opera, Firefox)? I have a lot of bookmarks arranged neatly in different folders in Chrome, and it would surely be helpful if I can store them in the cloud and then access them from all browsers.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I built one of these for myself in PHP hitting a mySQL db - expressly so that I could edit and use my bookmarks anywhere.
http://www.davesbrain.ca/portal1.html
It's since degraded, so I had to turn off the editing feature.

Likes Wrichik Basu
All browsers on the same computer? I use Lastpass, and one of the main benefits is synchronizing all my devices, computers, tablets, phones for the whole family.

anorlunda said:
All browsers on the same computer? I use Lastpass, and one of the main benefits is synchronizing all my devices, computers, tablets, phones for the whole family.
How about any computer? I'd like to be able to use my bookmarks at the office on my lunchbreak or at my friends' place...

Likes Wrichik Basu
anorlunda said:
All browsers on the same computer?
Generally I do not need to switch between two or more computers, but it would be great if I can access my bookmarks from any computer.

There's loads of bookmark manager services out there: raindrop.io comes up high on searches, and there is Google Bookmarks of course. If you are using a note-taking app like Evernote or OneNote then these generally have bookmarks included.

pbuk said:
There's loads of bookmark manager services out there: raindrop.io comes up high on searches, and there is Google Bookmarks of course.
I am not sure how Google Bookmarks works. I can see only the places labelled in Google Maps, not those bookmarked in Chrome. Apparently Chrome bookmark manager and Google Bookmarks are different. I will check out raindrop.io.
pbuk said:
If you are using a note-taking app like Evernote or OneNote then these generally have bookmarks included.
I use Google Keep, and it does not have this feature.

Wrichik Basu said:
I am not sure how Google Bookmarks works. I can see only the places labelled in Google Maps, not those bookmarked in Chrome. Apparently Chrome bookmark manager and Google Bookmarks are different.
Yes they are different. You need to install the Google Bookmarks plugin for Chrome (and Firefox) and then you will be able to share bookmarks across all installations of Bookmarks on all supported browsers on all platforms.

Wrichik Basu said:
I use Google Keep, and it does not have this feature.
No, that's because it is a feature of Google Bookmarks!

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is a browser-independent bookmark manager?

A browser-independent bookmark manager is a software or service that allows you to save and organize your bookmarks or favorites from various web browsers in one central location. This means you can access your bookmarks from any device or browser, without being limited to a specific browser.

2. Why should I use a browser-independent bookmark manager?

Using a browser-independent bookmark manager can save you time and effort by keeping all your bookmarks in one place. It also allows you to access your bookmarks from any device or browser, making it easier to keep track of your saved websites.

3. Are there any free options for browser-independent bookmark managers?

Yes, there are many free options for browser-independent bookmark managers available. Some popular ones include Pocket, Raindrop.io, and Google Bookmarks. These services offer basic features for free, with the option to upgrade to a paid version for more advanced features.

4. Can I import my bookmarks from my current browser to a browser-independent bookmark manager?

Most browser-independent bookmark managers allow you to import your bookmarks from your current browser. This can usually be done by exporting your bookmarks as an HTML file and then importing it into the bookmark manager. However, it's always best to check the specific instructions for the bookmark manager you choose.

5. Is my data safe with a browser-independent bookmark manager?

Most reputable browser-independent bookmark managers have strong security measures in place to protect your data. This may include encryption, regular backups, and secure servers. However, it's important to do your own research and choose a bookmark manager from a trusted source to ensure the safety of your data.