Recovering a vector field from the divergence/flux

In summary, the objective of this question is to determine the vector field that causes a given divergence. The divergence and flux have been successfully calculated, but recovering the field is proving to be a challenge. The divergence theorem is suggested as a possible approach. The calculation of the divergence has been described, as well as the possibility of obtaining the flux. However, the question now asks for the use of the calculated divergence to find the vector field. Some thoughts and considerations have been mentioned, such as the vector field being parallel to the surface area vector and having a constant direction over the surface. The plan is to take the dot product of the vector field and the surface normal vector outside the integral, making the value of the integral equal to the surface area

Homework Statement

(Long and unappealing looking question - but could please use few hints with what is going wrong with my analysis :) )

In brief: the object is to work out what vector field causes a given divergence - I've managed to get the divergence & flux but recovering the field is causing me some issues & there's not much information around about this reverse process.

In this question there is a solid sphere that emits charged particles from within its volume (evenly) at a given rate. They pass out of the surface so it has a current density(J) kind of flux.

we are told that in this case: (which is obvious - but I just include this in case my description has lost anyone)

the divergence (of J) = the total charge crossing the spheres surface per second / total volume

and are given a number to check it is right when the expression is evaluated (mine is).

Homework Equations

I think the divergence theorem is the way to go

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I've done:

1)

rate of p'ticles out per second * charge of particle = charge out per second (= current out)

I will call this total current out by 'C' to keep things cleaner.

2)a) therefore the divergence is:

C / (volume of the sphere) = C / ((4/3)*pi*r^3)

2)b) ? I could also get the flux at this point by

C/surface area ?

3)
OK so this is very simple so far. But it now asks to use the calculated divergence of J to get the vector field.

I'm not used to the proper equation editor - but if we consider the diverence theorem for a solid and a vector field as:

the volume integral of divergence equated with the closed surface integral of the flux
through the surface area element.

I hope people will be able to understand clearly enough what I am saying.

So my view is that since the Div(J) = constant throughout the sphere.
therefore the triple integral simply becomes the product of the divergence and volume

so from my previous notation the triple integral becomes just 'C'

so now I have just:

C = the surface integral of the flux over the sphere

Thoughts that I'm not sure how to use to progress:

1) the vector field will be parallel to the surface area vector
1b) <vector field | surface normal > = |vector field|

2) the < vector field | surface normal vector > will be constant over the surface

3) the direction of the vector field is not constant over the surface as it is always normal

my plan was to take < vector field | surface normal > outside the integral ... then the value of the integral is the just the surface area.

then C/surface area = |vector field| ... which feels close but I don't know how to regain it's vector qualities.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm certain there's something I'm missing, but can't work out what. I'd be grateful for any help ... I know the physics is a bit weird - but this is all part of a larger problem so I would like to understand it. :)

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a vector quantity (such as force or velocity) as a function of position in space. In other words, it assigns a vector value to every point in a given region of space.

2. What is the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field is a measure of how much the vector field is "flowing out" or "spreading" from a given point. It is represented by the dot product of the vector field and the del operator.

3. How is the divergence related to the flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field is a measure of the flow of the vector field through a given surface. It is equal to the surface integral of the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface. The divergence of the vector field is related to the flux by the Divergence Theorem, which states that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field within the surface.

4. Why is it important to recover a vector field from its divergence or flux?

Recovering a vector field from its divergence or flux allows us to understand the behavior of the vector field and make predictions about its behavior in different situations. It is also important in many applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and meteorology.

5. What are some methods for recovering a vector field from its divergence or flux?

There are several methods for recovering a vector field from its divergence or flux, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, Green's theorem, and the Divergence Theorem. These methods use mathematical operations such as integration and differentiation to find the vector field from its divergence or flux.