Recovering settings from an inactive WinXP installation

• Thread starter cookiemonster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    installation
In summary, my friend was deleting system files and caused a catastrophic failure on his computer. He was trying to upgrade to Windows, but it wasn't a good idea because it didn't work properly and windows is not good at storing configuration files.
cookiemonster
Well, after spending 4 hours on my friend's computer, I managed to turn it into a lump of crap into a working machine. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to recover the settings into the active installation of XP. However, the previous installation's files still exist on the computer and, if possible, I'd like to get those over into the new installation so I don't have to reinstall a million things and reconfigure a second million.

Some more information:

The computer has two hard drives. Because of what I did to keep me from accidently killing all the important files, namely copy everything to one drive and use Norton Ghost to clone that drive, the two drives are identical in content except for the installation of windows. One has the old installation and one has the new, and it would be simple to backup the old installation files to both drives. So I'm not particularly afraid of experimenting with one of them. As long as only one drive needs to be wiped or something at a time, anything goes.

There may or may not be old system restore points in the old installation. I'm not sure where they're located, but they're not in the same place as the new installation stores them, so I think system restore was disabled before the failure. Why it was disabled? I have no idea...

There's a bunch of programs on the drives, so it'd be nice to have the old registry back.

I tried to port the old configuration over by using XP's Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and treating the old installation's drive as a separate computer, but either XP doesn't like that or my infamiliarity with the tool screwed that up.

The problem with the old installation is, at least according to XP's bootup, is a missing or corrupt %\system32\hal.dll (what a name...). I already tried replacing it, but it doesn't even like the new one. Afterwards I compared the new and old system folders and found that the new installation had some 4500 more files than the old installation. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Anyway, there's probably more information that I'm forgetting to put in there, so just ask if you need it.

Any ideas?

cookiemonster

Computer science news on Phys.org
Upgrading isn't good for windows. Always do a fresh install. You'll just waste time fighting with the machiine to work properly. And even then it won't work properly. Also, windows isn't good at storing configuration files for backup. It wasn't designed with administrative ease in mind.

Not worth the effort, huh. All right. It sounds like something Windows would be.

I actually wasn't upgrading. My friend managed to cause a pretty catastrophic failure. He was deleting system files. The poor thing computer thought the hard drives disappeared for a while.

Another question, just for future reference.

Can a new installation adopt old settings from old system restore backup points?

I appreciate the response.

cookiemonster

What is an "inactive WinXP installation"?

An inactive WinXP installation refers to a Windows XP operating system that is no longer in use or has been replaced by a newer version. This could be due to a system upgrade or a computer being retired.

Is it possible to recover settings from an inactive WinXP installation?

Yes, it is possible to recover settings from an inactive WinXP installation, but it will depend on the state of the installation and the method used for recovery.

What settings can be recovered from an inactive WinXP installation?

The settings that can be recovered will vary depending on the method used for recovery. Generally, user preferences and system configurations such as desktop backgrounds, screen resolutions, and network settings can be recovered.

What are the methods for recovering settings from an inactive WinXP installation?

There are a few methods for recovering settings from an inactive WinXP installation. One way is to use a third-party data recovery software that specializes in retrieving settings and files from old or inactive operating systems. Another method is to manually copy and transfer settings from the inactive installation to the new one if it is still accessible.

Are there any risks associated with recovering settings from an inactive WinXP installation?

There is always a risk when attempting to recover data from an inactive operating system. It is crucial to use a reliable and reputable data recovery software to avoid potential data loss or damage. Additionally, manually transferring settings can also be risky if not done correctly, as it may result in system errors or conflicts.