Install Programs, Settings, from PC to PC

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, transferring data files, programs, and settings from an old PC to a new PC can be a challenge, especially when dealing with apps that require credit card information and may cause issues when trying to cancel. Some options for transferring data files include using a storage device or a data transfer USB like "Wormhole" from j5 create. However, programs are more difficult to transfer due to the Registry on Windows. It is recommended to install programs on the new computer instead. The conversation also mentions concerns about computer security and provides links for further instructions. Overall, transferring data and programs to a new computer requires careful consideration and possibly seeking assistance.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
There are " free" apps to do it that will charge
Hi all,
Trying to move data files, programs, settings from old PC to a new PC. Both Win10.
There are several apps with a free trial that require you leave your credit card number, start charging until you cancel, then give you trouble when you try to cancel, etc.

I've tried a data transfer USB, " Wormhole " , from j5 create, but my old PC is not recognizing it. Any other ideas?

Given my computer was allegedly hacked ( please see my other post in this forum , dated 7/20/23), not sure if I should do it right away, but just to have it available, in case I decide to use it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Data files (text, photos, audio, video, etc) can usually be transferred, just use a storage device that both computers can use; copy files from old computer to storage device then from storage device to new computer.

Programs are a real problem though. The only practical method for almost all programs is to install them on the new computer. The problem arises because during installation most programs store configuration data in a data base called the Registry that Windows maintains.

For an explanation, and not very clear instructions, see:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...computer/8f5734b2-590e-4c7a-b3b2-810151372a4d
(above link found with:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=transfer+programs+to+new+computer)

Cheers,
(and good luck)
Tom

Likes berkeman and WWGD

1. How do I transfer installed programs and settings from one PC to another?

To transfer installed programs and settings from one PC to another, you can use a program called PCmover. This program allows you to transfer all your programs, files, and settings from one PC to another easily.

2. Do I need to reinstall all my programs on the new PC?

No, with PCmover, you do not need to reinstall all your programs on the new PC. The program will transfer all your programs and settings, so you can continue using them without the need for new installations.

3. Can I transfer programs and settings between different operating systems?

Yes, you can transfer programs and settings between different operating systems using PCmover. The program is compatible with Windows operating systems, including Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista.

4. Is it possible to only transfer specific programs and settings?

Yes, PCmover allows you to select specific programs and settings to transfer between PCs. This gives you more control over what is transferred and can save time and storage space.

5. Will my transferred programs work the same on the new PC?

In most cases, yes, your transferred programs will work the same on the new PC. However, some programs may require reactivation or reconfiguration on the new PC. It is recommended to check with the software provider for any specific instructions.