Rectilinear Motion/Position Function - Find the distance?

• Thread starter pdxbird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the question involves an arrow shot from an elevation of 100 meters at a 30-degree angle with a speed of 50 meters/second. The initial vertical component of velocity is 25 meters/second. The vertical position function of the arrow is s(t) = -4.9t^2 + 50t + 100. The arrow reaches a maximum height of 256 meters and takes 11.92 seconds to hit the ground. The horizontal displacement of the arrow can be calculated using the time of flight and the constant horizontal velocity. The optimum angle for the greatest distance is approximately 36 degrees.
pdxbird
Hi! I'm pretty sure I got the first four parts right, but I'm lost on the last one.

1. Homework Statement :

An arrow is shot from an elevation of 100 meters at a 30-degree angle. It leaves the bow with a speed of 50 meters/second.

1) Find the initial vertical component of velocity.
2) Find the vertical position function of the arrow - s(t)
3) How high will the arrow get?
4) If the ground is flat, how long will it take for the arrow to hit the ground?
5) Supposing that horizontal velocity is constant, how far from the shooting point will the arrow be when it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

Gravity = 9.8 m/s

a(t) = v'(t)
v(t) = s'(t)
s = f(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
sin(30) = x/50
.5 = x/50
x = 25 meters/second

2)
v(t)= -9.8t + 50
s(t)= -4.9t^2 + 50t + 100

3)
Max height when v = 0
v(t)= -9.8t + 50
t = 5.13 seconds
(5.13) (50 m/s) = 256 m high

sin(30) = x/256 m
x = 128m + 100m (<-- initial vertical displacement) = 228 m high

4)
s(t)= -4.9t^2 + 50t + 100
Solving for t, the positive constant is is 11.92
So, it hits the ground after 11.92 seconds.

5)
I don't know! Help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have a function for vertical displacement with respect to time, from question 2 (although i think you might need to have another look at it). You can use this to calculate the time of flight (the time it takes to hit the ground, which according to your equation, you have designated as s=0).

Once you know how long it is in the air for, you should easily be able to calculate the horizontal displacement, since you are told the initial velocity, and you are also told that horizontal speed is constant.

Last edited:
danago said:
Well you have a function for vertical displacement with respect to time, from question 2 (although i think you might need to have another look at it). You can use this to calculate the time of flight (the time it takes to hit the ground, which according to your equation, you have designated as s=0).

Once you know how long it is in the air for, you should easily be able to calculate the horizontal displacement, since you are told the initial velocity, and you are also told that horizontal speed is constant.

Right- and I originally just calculated the distance based on the velocity and the time.
But it's also a factor of the angle it's shot at, so that can't be right. Since it's not going in a strait line, the distance is dependent on the angle it was launched from. (There's an extra credit question which asks to determine the precise angle to achieve the greatest distance, and it was worked out to be around 36 degrees.)

1. What is rectilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion is the movement of an object along a straight line. This means that the object's velocity and acceleration are in the same direction as its displacement.

2. How is rectilinear motion different from curvilinear motion?

In rectilinear motion, the object moves along a straight line, while in curvilinear motion, the object moves along a curved path. Additionally, the velocity and acceleration in rectilinear motion are constant or changing in the same direction, whereas in curvilinear motion, they can change in both magnitude and direction.

3. What is a position function?

A position function is a mathematical equation that describes the position of an object at any given time. It takes into account the object's initial position, velocity, and acceleration to calculate its position at any point in time.

4. How do you find the distance in rectilinear motion?

To find the distance in rectilinear motion, you can use the position function to calculate the object's position at two different times and then find the difference between the two positions. This will give you the distance traveled by the object.

5. Can you find the distance in rectilinear motion without a position function?

Yes, you can find the distance in rectilinear motion without a position function by using the average velocity formula, which is distance divided by time. However, this method is only applicable when the object's velocity is constant.