Red and Violet Light through a Prism (Snell's Law)

In summary: However, the OP was asked to find "the distance between the rays as they exit the bottom surface." The rays in question are not parallel, but diverge, so the separation distance should be measured at the bottom surface, as the OP did.
Venerable R

Homework Statement

A ray of white light strikes the surface of a 4.0-cm-thick slab of flint glass (Θ1 = 60°). As the ray enters the glass, it is dispersed into its constituent colors.

Estimate how far apart the rays of deepest red and deepest violet light are as they exit the bottom surface. Assume nred = 1.57 and nviolet = 1.60.

Θ1 = 60°
n1 = 1 (air)
Θ2violet = ?
Θ2red = ?
nviolet = 1.60
nred =1.57
d (adj) = 4 cm
Δx = ?

Homework Equations

Snell's Law: n1*sin(Θ1) = n2*sin(Θ2)
tan(Θ) = opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
n1*sin(Θ1) = n2*sin(Θ2r)
sin-1((sin 60°)/(1.57)) = Θ2r = 33.5°

n1*sin(Θ1) = n2*sin(Θ2v)
sin-1((sin 60°)/(1.60)) = Θ2v = 32.8°

tan(Θ2r) = opp/adj
dr = tan(33.5°) * 4 cm = 2.65 cm

dv = tan(32.8°) * 4 cm = 2.58 cm

Δx = 2.65 cm - 2.58 cm = 0.7 mm

It says that this answer is not correct, but I am nearly 100% sure this is how it should be done!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me. Since no picture is provided, it is important to know how the angle of 60o is measured. I assume it's the angle between the incoming light ray and the normal to the surface of the glass.

TSny said:
Your work looks correct to me. Since no picture is provided, it is important to know how the angle of 60o is measured. I assume it's the angle between the incoming light ray and the normal to the surface of the glass.

Yeah, I'm really unsure of why it's marking me wrong. Here's the reference figure: http://i.imgur.com/5r2P1vY.jpg?1

Ah. Note that the 60o shown in the figure is not the angle of incidence.

TSny said:
Ah. Note that the 60o shown in the figure is not the angle of incidence.

Ah! Thank you so much! The correct answer came out to be 0.28 mm.

1. What is the relationship between red and violet light when passing through a prism?

When red and violet light pass through a prism, they both refract or bend in different directions due to their different wavelengths. This results in the separation of the two colors, creating a spectrum of colors.

2. How does Snell's Law apply to the refraction of red and violet light through a prism?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is a constant for two given media. In the case of red and violet light passing through a prism, the different angles of refraction are determined by the different wavelengths of the light, resulting in the separation of colors.

3. Why does red light appear at the top of the spectrum while violet light appears at the bottom?

The separation of colors in a spectrum is due to their different wavelengths. Red light has a longer wavelength compared to violet light, so it is refracted less and appears at the top of the spectrum. Violet light has a shorter wavelength, so it is refracted more and appears at the bottom of the spectrum.

4. How does the thickness of the prism affect the refraction of red and violet light?

The thickness of the prism does not affect the refraction of red and violet light. The angle of refraction and the resulting separation of colors is determined by the different wavelengths of the light, not the thickness of the prism.

5. Can other colors of light also be separated through a prism using Snell's Law?

Yes, other colors of light can also be separated through a prism using Snell's Law. The separation of colors in a spectrum is based on the different wavelengths of light, so any source of white light can be separated into its component colors using a prism and Snell's Law.