Reduce relativistic KE threshold to a nonrelativistic form.

In summary: Your Name] In summary, we need to show that equation 14.13 reduces to equation 13.14 in the nonrelativistic limit. This can be done by expanding the expression for the total mass in equation 14.13 using the binomial theorem and simplifying the result. In the nonrelativistic limit, we can neglect certain terms and obtain equation 13.14, thus proving our initial statement.
Bhumble

Homework Statement

Show that equation 14.13 reduces to equation 13.14 in the nonrelativistic limit.

Homework Equations

[tex] (14.13) K_{th} = -Q \frac{m_1 + m_2 + m_3 + ...}{2m_2} [/tex]
[tex] (13.14) K_{th} = -Q ( 1 + \frac{m(x)}{M(X)} ) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For equation 13.14 m(x) is the mass of the incident particle and M(X) is the mass of the target particle.
I'm not sure how I'm suppose to start doing this problem. Both were derived in class but 14.13 was done via a center of mass frame and I'm unsure what approach I should be taking.
It seems like the -Q can factor out and then I wasn't sure if I can just take a taylor expansion to somehow get to 13.14.
This is due tomorrow afternoon so any advice on how to get it started is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. The equations you have provided are related to the kinetic energy of a particle interacting with a target particle. Equation 14.13 is written in terms of the total mass of all particles involved, while equation 13.14 is written in terms of the individual masses of the incident and target particles. In order to show that equation 14.13 reduces to equation 13.14 in the nonrelativistic limit, we need to consider the behavior of these equations as the velocities of the particles approach zero.

Firstly, we can start by expanding the expression for the total mass in equation 14.13 using the binomial theorem:

m_1 + m_2 + m_3 + ... = m_2 (1 + \frac{m_1}{m_2} + \frac{m_3}{m_2} + ...)

As the velocities of the particles approach zero, their masses can be assumed to be constant. Therefore, we can substitute this expansion into equation 14.13 to obtain:

K_{th} = -Q \frac{m_2 (1 + \frac{m_1}{m_2} + \frac{m_3}{m_2} + ...)}{2m_2}

Simplifying this expression, we get:

K_{th} = -Q (1 + \frac{m_1}{2m_2} + \frac{m_3}{2m_2} + ...)

Now, in the nonrelativistic limit, the velocity of the incident particle (m_1) is much smaller than the velocity of the target particle (m_2). Therefore, we can neglect the terms involving m_1 and higher order terms, and we are left with:

K_{th} = -Q (1 + \frac{m_1}{2m_2})

This is equivalent to equation 13.14, where m(x) = m_1 and M(X) = m_2. Thus, we have shown that equation 14.13 reduces to equation 13.14 in the nonrelativistic limit.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your assignment!

Related to Reduce relativistic KE threshold to a nonrelativistic form.

1. What is the purpose of reducing the relativistic KE threshold to a nonrelativistic form?

The purpose of reducing the relativistic KE threshold to a nonrelativistic form is to simplify the equation and make it easier to work with in certain situations. It also allows for easier comparison with classical mechanics equations.

2. How is the relativistic KE threshold calculated?

The relativistic KE threshold is calculated using the equation KE = (γ - 1)mc^2, where γ is the Lorentz factor and mc^2 is the rest energy of the object. This equation takes into account the effects of special relativity on the kinetic energy of a moving object.

3. What are the assumptions made when reducing the relativistic KE threshold to a nonrelativistic form?

The main assumption made when reducing the relativistic KE threshold to a nonrelativistic form is that the object's speed is much less than the speed of light, making the Lorentz factor close to 1. This allows for the use of simpler equations from classical mechanics.

4. Are there any limitations to using the nonrelativistic form of the KE threshold?

Yes, the nonrelativistic form of the KE threshold is only applicable when the object's speed is much less than the speed of light. If the object's speed approaches the speed of light, the relativistic form of the equation must be used to accurately calculate the kinetic energy.

5. How does reducing the relativistic KE threshold affect the results of an experiment?

Reducing the relativistic KE threshold may result in slightly different values for the kinetic energy compared to using the full relativistic equation. However, in most cases, the difference is negligible and the simplified equation is sufficient for practical purposes. It is important to carefully consider the level of accuracy needed in an experiment before deciding which form of the equation to use.