Reducing the charge Q on an isolated charged conducting sphere to Q/8

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for obtaining a required result using charged and neutral spheres and ground wires. It is suggested that using three uncharged spheres may be a smarter way with fewer operations, but the original situation only involves one charged sphere and two uncharged spheres.
FranzDiCoccio
Homework Statement
An isolated conducting sphere carries a charge Q. You want to reduce such charge to Q/8. You can use two further conducting spheres that are identical to the first, but not charged, and some conducting wires for grounding them.
Relevant Equations
- when the spheres touch they share their charge equally, because they're identical
- when one sphere is grounded, the charge on it disperses, and it becomes electrically neutral
- it is possible to induce a charge on a sphere by grounding it, moving it close to a charged sphere, and removing the grounding. The induced charge in this case has opposite sign than the one on the originally charged sphere.
It seems to me that one can obtain the required result by using just one neutral sphere and one ground wire.
Let A be the charged sphere and B be the neutral one. Initially ##Q_A=Q## and ##Q_B=0##.
  1. put A and B in contact. As a result ##Q_A=Q/2## and ##Q_B=Q/2##.
  2. ground B, so that ##Q_B=0## again.
  3. remove the grounding wire from B and repeat the above steps twice.
It seems to me that this works. After two steps ##Q_A=Q/8##.
I have no use for the third sphere and additional wires.
Perhaps the point is that there's a smarter way involving all three spheres, and possibly a smaller number of "operations"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can do it with fewer operations if you use the other sphere. If you had 3 uncharged spheres instead of 2, you could successively touch the sphere of interest to each one without the need for grounding. I think that's the minimum of operations.

Hi kuruman,
thanks... I can see what you mean. In that case the grounding wire would be completely useless.
However I have one charged sphere and two uncharged spheres (plus conducting wires), so what you're suggesting cannot be done.
I could use the two uncharged spheres to reduce the initial charge to ##Q/4##, but then I'd have to remove the charge from one of the originally uncharged spheres using the grounding wire.
In my opinion this variation is not really something to write home about.

1. How does reducing the charge on a conducting sphere affect its electric field?

Reducing the charge on a conducting sphere will decrease its electric field strength. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge, so a lower charge will result in a weaker electric field.

2. What is the process for reducing the charge on an isolated conducting sphere to Q/8?

The process for reducing the charge on an isolated conducting sphere to Q/8 involves bringing a negatively charged object close to the sphere, which will induce a negative charge on the sphere. This will cause the overall charge on the sphere to decrease, and by adjusting the distance and charge of the object, the desired charge of Q/8 can be achieved.

3. Can the charge on a conducting sphere be reduced to less than Q/8?

Yes, the charge on a conducting sphere can be reduced to any desired amount, as long as it is within the limits of the charge on the inducing object and the distance between the sphere and the object.

4. What factors can affect the process of reducing the charge on a conducting sphere?

The main factors that can affect the process of reducing the charge on a conducting sphere are the charge and distance of the inducing object, as well as the initial charge on the sphere. Other factors such as the shape and size of the sphere may also play a role.

5. Why is it important to reduce the charge on a conducting sphere to Q/8?

Reducing the charge on a conducting sphere to Q/8 is important because it allows for more precise control over the electric field in the surrounding space. This can be useful in various applications, such as in electrostatic experiments or in the design of electrical devices.