Reflection and Refraction formula help

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem using the formula n=sin i / sin r. The person attempted to solve the question with the given values, but realized that the incident angle given was incorrect. They corrected their mistake and thanked the other person for pointing it out.
Muhammad Danish

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-17_0-34-37.png

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I tried to solve this question with the general formula n=sin i / sin r. 1.5 = sin 30/sin r,
r = 19.4 = 19
which is option A. But option A is incorrect. Please guide me where am I wrong..

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-17_0-30-48.png
    upload_2018-4-17_0-30-48.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 561
  • upload_2018-4-17_0-34-37.png
    upload_2018-4-17_0-34-37.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,936
Physics news on Phys.org
The incident angle is not 30 degrees.

Likes Muhammad Danish
Orodruin said:
The incident angle is not 30 degrees.
60 degrees??

Muhammad Danish said:
50 degrees??
Why would it be 50 degrees?

Orodruin said:
Why would it be 50 degrees?
Sorry I mean't 60 degrees, since 90-30 = 60

Muhammad Danish said:
Sorry I mean't 60 degrees, since 90-30 = 60
Yes, the incident angle is the angle between the surface normal and the ray, not between the surface itself and the ray.

Orodruin said:
Yes, the incident angle is the angle between the surface normal and the ray, not between the surface itself and the ray.
Thanks a lot for pointing that mistake out. I was making the same mistake in many questions like that.

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle of reflection?

The formula for calculating the angle of reflection is "angle of reflection = angle of incidence". This means that the angle at which a light ray bounces off a surface is equal to the angle at which it originally hit the surface.

2. How is the speed of light related to the formula for refraction?

The speed of light is related to the formula for refraction by the refractive index, which is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when passing through a certain medium. The formula for refraction is "sin(angle of incidence)/sin(angle of refraction) = speed of light in first medium/speed of light in second medium".

3. Can the formula for reflection and refraction be used for all types of waves?

Yes, the formula for reflection and refraction can be used for all types of waves, including light, sound, and water waves. This is because all waves exhibit the same behavior when interacting with surfaces and passing through different media.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence directly affects the angle of refraction through Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sines of the angles is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two media. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, resulting in a greater change in direction for the light ray.

5. What is the significance of the critical angle in refraction?

The critical angle is the angle at which light is refracted along the surface of a medium, rather than passing through it. It is significant because it determines whether total internal reflection will occur, and is dependent on the refractive indices of the two media. This phenomenon is used in various applications, such as in fiber optics and prisms.