Refractive index and depth of object in water.

In summary, the Fsherman sees a Fish in a river at an apparent depth below the surface of the water of 0.75 m. Given that the refractive index of water is 1.33, is the true depth of the Fish below the water's surface: A 0.75 m? B Less than 0.75 m? C 1 m? D More than 1 m?
heartOFphysic
Question:
A Fsherman sees a Fish in a river at an apparent depth below the surface of
the water of 0.75 m. Given that the refractive index of water is 1.33, is the
true depth of the Fish below the water's surface:
A 0.75 m?
B Less than 0.75 m?
C 1 m?
D More than 1 m?

My proposal:

I am not really sure about this at all. All I can think of is "if the refractive index of water is 1.33 then the depth could be 1.33 times that of what it seems to be" (however I CAN'T prove this, it's just a hunch)

So 0.75 X 1.33 is roughly 1, so is the answer 1m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hunches won't help you, but a neat diagram is sure to. :wink:

Draw a light ray from the fish and entering the eye of the observer. Make sure you show the correct way it bends as it passes from water into air.

heartOFphysic said:
Question:
A Fsherman sees a Fish in a river at an apparent depth below the surface of
the water of 0.75 m. Given that the refractive index of water is 1.33, is the
true depth of the Fish below the water's surface:
A 0.75 m?
B Less than 0.75 m?
C 1 m?
D More than 1 m?

My proposal:

I am not really sure about this at all. All I can think of is "if the refractive index of water is 1.33 then the depth could be 1.33 times that of what it seems to be" (however I CAN'T prove this, it's just a hunch)

So 0.75 X 1.33 is roughly 1, so is the answer 1m?

If you have ever looked into a swimming pool while the surface is smooth [you have to get there early before everyone jumps in] you would realize that the water appears different depths at different angle of observation.
Looking straight down it appears deepest - but even then shallower that it actually is.
I think I have seen somewhere that the apparent depth is 1/n times the real depth - referring to the apparent depth when looking directly into the medium - angle of incidence = 0 degrees.

hi heartOFphysic! :wink:

yes, do as NascentOxygen :smile: suggests …
NascentOxygen said:
Hunches won't help you, but a neat diagram is sure to. :wink:

Draw a light ray from the fish and entering the eye of the observer. Make sure you show the correct way it bends as it passes from water into air.

i'm a fish, and i know! o:)

PeterO said:
I think I have seen somewhere that the apparent depth is 1/n times the real depth - referring to the apparent depth when looking directly into the medium - angle of incidence = 0 degrees.

so it's (0.75)/ (1/1.333) = 0.99975

thus 1m?

Can you work out the diagram (a vertical cross-section through the water) using the basic formula, Snell's Law? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

That will be more useful to helping you understand what's involved here than guessing, and hoping for the best.

Hey,

This problem can be solved only for small angles.
Everyone above has pointed put some really useful tips.

The best way for you to start is to first derive a general formulae.(you will need a diagram.you can take help of textbooks because its not as simple as it sounds).
(Hint: You have some idea regarding the resulting formulae .Just go through the derivation again )

From there you will obtain a result which will be valid only for small angles of observation.
Plug in values and find the answer

emailanmol said:
This problem can be solved only for small angles.

and small fish o:)

Lol tiny-tim.

I have read many posts of yours and I got to admit,
'Not only are your posts to the point, they also tend to create an ambience of fun and happiness which helps the OP a lot'.

Cheers
Anmol

1. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend or refract light as it passes through it. It is a dimensionless quantity that compares the speed of light in a vacuum to its speed in a particular material.

2. How does refractive index affect the depth of an object in water?

Refractive index plays a crucial role in determining the depth of an object in water. The higher the refractive index of the water, the more it will bend or refract light, making objects appear closer to the surface than they actually are. This is why objects in water appear shallower than they actually are.

3. Can we calculate the depth of an object in water using refractive index?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the depth of an object in water using the refractive index of the water and the angle of incidence of the light. This can be done using Snell's Law, which relates the refractive index, angle of incidence, and angle of refraction of a light ray passing through two different materials.

4. How does temperature affect the refractive index of water?

Temperature has a significant impact on the refractive index of water. As the temperature of water increases, its refractive index decreases, meaning it will bend light less. This is why objects in warm water may appear less distorted than objects in cold water.

5. Is the refractive index of water always the same?

No, the refractive index of water can vary depending on the type of water (freshwater vs. saltwater), temperature, and impurities present. Pure water at a specific temperature has a known refractive index, but it may change slightly in different conditions.