Refrigeration - Work required to run heat pump

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a heat pump to maintain a room at 23C. The heat gain to the room is 1.5kW per degree Celsius difference between the atmosphere and the room. The first question asks for the reversible COP of the heat pump given an outside temperature of 32C. The second question asks for the minimum work required to drive the heat pump, which can be calculated using the equation COP = Ql/Win. The third question involves finding the maximum ambient summer temperature that the heat pump can handle to cool the room to 23C. The speaker expresses confusion about this part.
Vishak95
This question has got me quite confused, some guidance would be really appreciated.

A room is to be kept at 23C using a heat pump from ambient. Heat gain to the room is 1.5kW per degree Celsius difference between the atmosphere and the room.

1) If the outside temperature is 32C, what is the reversible COP of the heat pump?

I assume this is referring the maximum COP..

2) What is the minimum work to drive the heat pump?

I have used COP = Ql/Win to calculate this work input.

3) What is the maximum ambient summer temperature to be able to use the heat pump to cool the room to 23C? I'm really confused about this part.

Thanks!

Edit: I think I should have put this thread in the homework help section.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vishak95 said:
Edit: I think I should have put this thread in the homework help section.

Yes. And it won't hurt to use the template.

What is a heat pump?

A heat pump is a mechanical device that uses electricity to transfer heat from one location to another. It is commonly used for heating and cooling purposes in homes and buildings.

How does a heat pump work?

A heat pump works by using refrigerant, a chemical substance that easily changes between liquid and gas states, to transfer heat from one location to another. The refrigerant is compressed and then expanded, which causes it to absorb heat from one location and release it in another location.

What is the difference between a heat pump and a traditional air conditioner?

A heat pump and a traditional air conditioner both use refrigerant to transfer heat, but the main difference is that a heat pump can also reverse its function, making it able to both heat and cool a space. Traditional air conditioners can only cool a space.

What is the work required to run a heat pump?

The work required to run a heat pump is the amount of energy needed to compress the refrigerant and transfer heat from one location to another. This work is typically measured in units of power, such as watts or kilowatts.

How can I make my heat pump more efficient?

To make a heat pump more efficient, you can ensure that it is properly sized for your space, regularly maintain and clean it, and consider using a programmable thermostat to optimize its usage. Additionally, insulating your home and sealing any air leaks can also help improve the efficiency of your heat pump.