Refrigerator COP to Efficiency

In summary, to solve for the efficiency of a reversible refrigerator with a coefficient of performance equal to 13.8, you can use the equation Efficiency = (Th - Tc) / Th and express both quantities in terms of the ratio Tc/Th. This will allow you to solve for the efficiency.
Jennifer_ea

Homework Statement

The question is simply:
A reversible refrigerator has a coefficient of performance equal to 13.8. What is its efficiency?

Homework Equations

COPrefrigerator = Tc/(Th - Tc)
Efficiency = (Th - Tc) / Th

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming I need to use these equations to solve for efficiency, but I can't figure it out. I tried to just use 1/13.8, but as expected that didn't work. I'm sure it's something basic I'm over looking but I can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Express both quantities in terms of the ratio Tc/Th.

vela said:
Hint: Express both quantities in terms of the ratio Tc/Th.

ack! Thank-you so much, that was the push I needed

1. What is Refrigerator COP and how is it related to efficiency?

Refrigerator COP stands for Coefficient of Performance, which is a measure of the efficiency of a refrigerator. It is calculated by dividing the heat removed from the refrigerator by the work required to remove that heat. Essentially, it measures how much cooling a refrigerator can produce per unit of energy input.

2. How is Refrigerator COP different from efficiency?

Refrigerator COP specifically measures the efficiency of a refrigerator in terms of cooling, while efficiency is a broader term that can refer to the overall performance of a system. In the case of refrigerators, efficiency usually refers to the energy efficiency of the appliance, which includes factors such as insulation and compressor technology in addition to COP.

3. What is considered a good COP for a refrigerator?

A good COP for a refrigerator depends on factors such as the size and type of refrigerator, as well as the climate it is being used in. Generally, a COP of 3 or higher is considered good, meaning that for every unit of energy input, the refrigerator can produce 3 units of cooling. However, newer models may have even higher COPs, reaching up to 5 or 6.

4. How can I improve the COP of my refrigerator?

There are a few ways to improve the COP of your refrigerator. One is to ensure that the refrigerator is properly maintained, with regular cleaning and maintenance of the coils and compressor. Another way is to invest in a newer, more energy-efficient model. Additionally, keeping the refrigerator stocked and avoiding opening the door frequently can also help improve its efficiency.

5. How does the COP of a refrigerator affect my energy bills?

The COP of a refrigerator directly affects its energy efficiency, meaning that a higher COP can lead to lower energy bills. This is because a refrigerator with a higher COP requires less energy to produce the same amount of cooling. Therefore, investing in a more energy-efficient refrigerator with a higher COP can ultimately save you money on your energy bills in the long run.