Regarding Fiber Optics and Coaxial Cable

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations and constraints of using fiber optics and coaxial cable for the average home user. The first limitation mentioned is that store-bought cables with connectors are about equal in terms of performance, but should not be bent too hard. The second limitation is that while coaxial cables are fiddly but manageable for DIY installation, fiber optic cables require expensive tools for splicing or installation of connectors. The conversation ends with a request for help in finding information on this topic.
Abdul Wali
Hi,
"limitations/Constraints of Fiber Optics and Coaxial cable for average home user ?"

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is without context, so my answers will be very general.
First: If you are asking about the use of store-bought cables with connectors, they are about equal. Only - do not bend them too hard. A 15cm minimum bend radius should do it.
Second: If you want to buy raw cables and mount the connectors yourself, coaxial cable is fiddly, but not especially difficult to handle. Fiber optics - forget it. You need very expensive tools to splice it or to mount connectors.

Abdul Wali said:
Hi,
i am trying my best to find the "limitations/Constraints of Fiber Optics and Coaxial cable for average home user ?" but i could not make to find it online. So May someone help me with this. Thanks in Advance.
Is this question for your schoolwork?

1. What is the difference between fiber optics and coaxial cable?

Fiber optics use thin strands of glass or plastic to transmit data through light signals, while coaxial cable uses copper wires to transmit data through electrical signals. Fiber optics are faster and can transmit data over longer distances, but coaxial cable is more affordable and can be used for both internet and television.

2. How do fiber optics and coaxial cable work?

In fiber optics, data is transmitted through light signals that bounce off the walls of the thin glass or plastic strands. In coaxial cable, data is transmitted through electrical signals that travel through the copper wires. Both methods use different types of modulation to encode data into the signals.

3. Which is better for internet and television: fiber optics or coaxial cable?

It depends on your needs. For high-speed internet and long-distance data transmission, fiber optics is typically the better option. For basic internet and television needs, coaxial cable may be more affordable and suitable.

4. What are some advantages of using fiber optics?

Fiber optics have several advantages, such as faster data transmission, lower attenuation (loss of signal strength), immunity to electromagnetic interference, and the ability to transmit data over longer distances. They are also thinner, lighter, and more versatile than coaxial cable.

5. Are there any disadvantages of using fiber optics?

One disadvantage of fiber optics is that they are more expensive to install and maintain compared to coaxial cable. They also require specialized equipment for installation and repairs, and are more fragile and susceptible to damage. In addition, fiber optics may not be available in all areas, making coaxial cable the only option for some users.