Regarding volume of an ellipsoid bounded by 2 planar cutting planes

In summary, the problem involves computing the volume of an ellipsoid bounded by two horizontal planes. The volume of the ellipsoid can be expressed as 4/3πabc, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the axes. In order to solve this problem, elliptical-cylindrical coordinates can be used, with x=arcos(θ), y=brsin(θ), and z=cz′. The integral for the volume can then be set up as ∫∫∫ abcr dθ dr dz', with limits of integration from z'=h to 0, r=0 to 1-h, and θ=0 to 2π. This approach may be more convenient than
Corse

Homework Statement

Hi I require to compute the volume of a ellipsoid that is bounded by two planes. The first horizontal (xy) plane is cutting directly along the mid-section of the ellipsoid. The second horizontal plane is at a z = h below the first horizontal plane. The volume of the ellipsoid between these two planes is the interest.

Homework Equations

I understand that the volume of the ellipsoid is 4/3 ∏abc and the area of the cutting plane is ∏ab. However for this problem, I believe the use of integrals may be necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the problem statement, I realized that this can be reduced to a half-ellipsoid and the single horizontal cutting plane at z = h below the first cutting plane. In doing so it will just be a subtraction between 2/3 ∏abc and the volume not bounded by the 2 planes.

If a is the length of the major axis of the 2nd cutting plane in the x direction,

a = A x √(1-(h/C)²);

where A is the major axis of ellipsoid in X direction
C = Major axis of ellipsoid in Z direction
h = vertical distance in the z direction of 2nd plane (below 1st plane)

I'm not sure how should I continue from here though.

Help!

Thanks all for your input.

Regards
Corse

Physics news on Phys.org
So your ellipsoid is given by
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}+ \frac{z^2}{c^2}= 1[/tex]
and it is cut by z= 0 and z= h< 0?

At z= 0, the plane cuts the ellipsoid in the ellipse
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/tex]
and at z= h, the plane cuts the ellipsoid in the ellipse
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1- \frac{h^2}{c^2}[/tex]

I think I would be inclined to put this into "elliptical-cylindrical coordinates" taking
[itex]x= ar cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= br sin(\theta)[/itex], and [itex]z= cz';[/itex]

In those coordinates the equation of the ellipsoid becomes [itex]r^2+ z'^2= 1[/itex], the upper elliptical boundary becomes [itex]r^2= 1[/itex] (r= 1 since r cannot be negative), and the lower elliptical boundary becomes [itex]r^2= 1- h^2[/itex].

Of course, you will also have to change the differential using the Jacobian:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial z'} \\ \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial z'} \\ \frac{\partial z}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta} & \frac{\partial z}{\partial z'}\end{array}\right|[/tex][tex]= \left|\begin{array}{ccc} a cos(\theta) & -ar sin(\theta) & 0 \\ b sin(\theta) & br cos(\theta) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & c\end{array}\right|= abcr[/tex]
so that [itex]dxdydz= abc r drd\theta dz'[/itex]

Then the integral from r= 0 to r= 1- h will be from z'= h up z'= 0 while the integral from r= 1- h to 1 will be from [itex]z'= -\sqrt{1- r^2}[/itex] up to [itex]z'= 0[/itex].

Hi HallsofIvy

Thank you for your quick response! That was helpful to get me going. I understand the jacobian transformation from the cartesian to the elliptical-cylindrical space.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Elliptical-cylindrical coordinates was used where x=arcos(θ), y=brsin(θ), and z=cz′;

May I know why were the coefficients of a,b and c in the elliptical coordinates?

2) You mentioned that the integral from r= 0 to r= 1- h will be from z'= h up z'= 0 .

So for my case, I would be interested in r=0 to r = 1-h; I'm assuming this fact would be crucial in evaluating the triple integral to obtain the volume. Which integration limits would this correspond to?

Could you advise regarding the limits of integration if they are correct?

[itex] Volume = \int_{h/c}^0 \int_{0}^{2∏} \int abcr \,dr\,dΘ\,dz'[/itex]

Would it be necessary to obtain the traces of rΘ, rz' and Θz' to get the limits of integration?

Corse said:
Hi HallsofIvy

Thank you for your quick response! That was helpful to get me going. I understand the jacobian transformation from the cartesian to the elliptical-cylindrical space.

1) Elliptical-cylindrical coordinates was used where x=arcos(θ), y=brsin(θ), and z=cz′;

May I know why were the coefficients of a,b and c in the elliptical coordinates?
[itex]\frac{x}{a}= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]\frac{y}{a}= r sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z}{c}= z'[/itex] so that
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}+ \frac{z^2}{c^2}= r^2 cos^2(\theta)+ r^2 sin^(\theta)+ z'^2= r^2+ z'^2= 1[/tex]
The equation of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates.

2) You mentioned that the integral from r= 0 to r= 1- h will be from z'= h up z'= 0 .

So for my case, I would be interested in r=0 to r = 1-h; I'm assuming this fact would be crucial in evaluating the triple integral to obtain the volume. Which integration limits would this correspond to?

Could you advise regarding the limits of integration if they are correct?

[itex] Volume = \int_{h/c}^0 \int_{0}^{2∏} \int abcr \,dr\,dΘ\,dz'[/itex]

Would it be necessary to obtain the traces of rΘ, rz' and Θz' to get the limits of integration?
I said that r goes from 0 to 1- h. So the integral will be
[tex]\int_{z'= h}^0\int_{r= 0}^{1- h}\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} abcr d\theta dr dz'[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Hi HallsofIvy

1) May I know how did you get limits for r to be r = 0 to 1-h? Especially for the part r = 1-h

2) For z', should the bottom limits be -h instead of h?

3) Also, does converting the problem to cylindrical coordinates make it more convenient to solve? Could it be done in a similar fashion in cartesian coordinates?

Thank you for helping me out!

Regards
Corse

Last edited:

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a flattened sphere. It is defined as the set of all points in space that are equidistant from a fixed point called the center, and two other fixed points called the foci.

2. What are planar cutting planes?

Planar cutting planes are flat surfaces that intersect an object, dividing it into two parts. In the case of an ellipsoid, the cutting planes would divide it into smaller ellipsoids or ellipsoidal segments.

3. How is the volume of an ellipsoid bounded by 2 planar cutting planes calculated?

The volume of an ellipsoid bounded by 2 planar cutting planes can be calculated using the following formula: V = (4/3)πabc - (1/6)(a + b + c)√(ab + ac + bc), where a, b, and c are the semi-major axes of the ellipsoid and π is the constant pi.

4. Can the volume of an ellipsoid bounded by 2 planar cutting planes be negative?

No, the volume of an ellipsoid bounded by 2 planar cutting planes cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space enclosed by the cutting planes and the surface of the ellipsoid, and therefore it is always a positive value.

5. How can the volume of an ellipsoid bounded by 2 planar cutting planes be used in practical applications?

The volume of an ellipsoid bounded by 2 planar cutting planes is used in various fields of study such as physics, engineering, and geology. It can be used to calculate the volume of objects with ellipsoidal shapes, such as planets or asteroids, and to analyze the distribution of mass within these objects. It is also used in the design of mechanical components and in geological modeling.