Related Rate Problem (Involving Trig.)

• Thread starter NATURE.M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate Trig
In summary, a rocket with a height function of h(t) = 200t^2 is being filmed by a camera 150 m away from the launch site. To find the angle the camera must be moving at 4 seconds after liftoff, we differentiate with respect to t and use the identity tan(θ)=(200t^2)/150. Simplifying, we get dθ/dt=8t/3 * cos^2(θ), and at t=4s, tan(θ)=64/3. By using sinθ=cosθtanθ and sin^2(θ)+cos^2(θ)=1, we find that cos^2(θ)=9/4105. Evaluating
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

A rocket is moving into the air with a height function given by h(t) = 200t^2. A camera located 150 m away from the launch site is filming the launch. How fast must the angle of the camera be changing with respect to the horizontal 4 seconds after liftoff?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we create a diagram, we will see that
tan(θ)=(200t^2)/150 or (4t^2)/3

Differentiating with respect to t,

sec^2(θ)dθ/dt=8t/3 which becomes dθ/dt=8t/3 * cos^2(θ)

At t=4s, tan(θ)=64/3, and then by sinθ=cosθtanθ, we know sinθ=(64/3)cosθ

Then by sin^2(θ)+cos^2(θ)=1, we know that cos^2(θ)=9/4105

Now evaluating the derivative at t=4s, we obtain dθ/dt=96/4105 rad/s≈0.0234 rad/s

I would just like to know if all my steps are accurate, and if my final answer is correct, or if I made an error along the way, leading to an incorrect result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. You could have saved a couple of calculations by using ##\sec^2\theta=1+\tan^2\theta## instead of messing with the sines and cosines.

Okay thanks, and I completely forgot about that identity when doing this problem.

1. What is a related rate problem involving trigonometry?

A related rate problem involving trigonometry is a type of problem in calculus where the rates of change of two or more variables are related through a trigonometric function, such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

2. How do I solve a related rate problem involving trigonometry?

To solve a related rate problem involving trigonometry, you must first identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use the given information to set up an equation that relates the rates of change. Finally, use trigonometric identities and differentiation rules to solve for the desired rate of change.

3. What are some common applications of related rate problems involving trigonometry?

Related rate problems involving trigonometry are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to analyze real-world situations where quantities are changing over time. For example, these types of problems can be used to calculate the velocity of a moving object or the rate of change of an angle in a rotating system.

4. What are some tips for solving related rate problems involving trigonometry?

Some tips for solving related rate problems involving trigonometry include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all known and unknown quantities, and using appropriate trigonometric identities to simplify the equations. It is also helpful to carefully read the problem and identify any relevant information or given rates of change.

5. How do I check my solution for a related rate problem involving trigonometry?

To check your solution for a related rate problem involving trigonometry, you can plug in the values of the given rates of change into your final equation and see if it matches the desired rate of change. Additionally, you can use common sense and reasoning to ensure that your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.