Related Rates: Kite Angle Decreasing at 200 ft of String Out

In summary, to find the rate at which the angle between the string and the horizontal is decreasing when 200 ft of string has been let out, use the definition of sine to relate the angle to the height and length of the string. Then, take the derivative with respect to time and solve for the rate.
dethnode

Homework Statement

A kite 100 ft above the ground moves horizontally at a speed of 8 ft/s. At what rate is the angle between the string and the horizontal decreasing when 200 ft of string has been let out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the pythagreon therom and found the horizontal to be 173.2050808

Aside from that i am lost can someone help get me started?

Physics news on Phys.org
dethnode said:

Homework Statement

A kite 100 ft above the ground moves horizontally at a speed of 8 ft/s. At what rate is the angle between the string and the horizontal decreasing when 200 ft of string has been let out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the pythagreon therom and found the horizontal to be 173.2050808

Aside from that i am lost can someone help get me started?
The Pythagorean theorem doesn't tell you anything about the angle. Since the height is opposite the angle the line makes with the horizontal on the ground, and the length of the string is the hypotenuse, use the definition of sine.

Related to Related Rates: Kite Angle Decreasing at 200 ft of String Out

What is a related rate problem?

In a related rate problem, the rate of change of one quantity is related to the rate of change of another quantity. This means that as one quantity changes, the other quantity will also change in a predictable way.

How do you solve a related rate problem?

To solve a related rate problem, you will need to use the chain rule from calculus. This involves taking the derivative of both sides of the equation and then solving for the unknown variable. It is important to correctly identify the related rates and set up the equation before solving.

What information do you need to solve a related rate problem?

In order to solve a related rate problem, you will need to know the rates of change of the related quantities, as well as any other relevant information such as the length of string or the angle of the kite. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem in order to determine the necessary information.

What does it mean when the kite angle is decreasing at 200 ft of string out?

This means that the angle of the kite is decreasing as the string is being let out at a rate of 200 feet per second. This can happen if the kite is being flown higher or if the person flying the kite is letting out more string.

How can related rates be applied in real life situations?

Related rates can be applied in many real life situations, such as calculating the changing distance between two moving objects, the rate at which a balloon is inflating, or the speed at which water is draining from a tank. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and predict changes in various quantities.