Relating charge to potential difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the parameters needed to calculate the potential difference required for ions with a given mass and charge to be deflected in a semicircular path of a specific radius in a magnetic field. The formulas and data provided do not allow for a direct calculation of the potential difference without either the particle's charge or its linear velocity, and the questioner realizes that the term "singly ionized" refers to the ions being produced and released in series.
Daishain

Homework Statement

Ions with mass m and charge q are accelerated through a potential difference V. They then enter a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to their velocity and are deflected in a semicircular path of radius R

What potential difference V is needed so that singly ionized 12C atoms will have R= 50 cm in a 0.15T magnetic field?

radius R= 50 cm
magnetic field strength B= 0.15 T
mass m= 1.993 X10^-26 kg
charge q=?
linear velocity v=?
voltage difference V=?

Homework Equations

v=(R*|q|*B)/m
V=(0.5*m*v^2)/q

Not looking for a specific solution from here. I need a new way to equate the data. No matter how I slice it given the formulas and data provided, I cannot find the potential difference without either the particle's charge or its linear velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daishain said:

Homework Statement

Ions with mass m and charge q are accelerated through a potential difference V. They then enter a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to their velocity and are deflected in a semicircular path of radius R

What potential difference V is needed so that singly ionized 12C atoms will have R= 50 cm in a 0.15T magnetic field?

radius R= 50 cm
magnetic field strength B= 0.15 T
mass m= 1.993 X10^-26 kg
charge q=?
linear velocity v=?
voltage difference V=?

Homework Equations

v=(R*|q|*B)/m
V=(0.5*m*v^2)/q

Not looking for a specific solution from here. I need a new way to equate the data. No matter how I slice it given the formulas and data provided, I cannot find the potential difference without either the particle's charge or its linear velocity.

What do you suppose the phrase "singly ionized" implies?

gneill said:
What do you suppose the phrase "singly ionized" implies?

*facepalm*

I had assumed it meant nothing more than that ions were produced and released in series. Thanks for pointing it out, I should be able to handle it from here.

Related to Relating charge to potential difference

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy an object possesses. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in coulombs (C).

2. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is a measure of the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol ΔV or V.

3. How is charge related to potential difference?

Charge and potential difference are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the amount of charge increases, the potential difference also increases. Mathematically, this relationship is represented by the equation ΔV = Q/C, where Q is the charge and C is the capacitance.

4. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is defined as the ratio of the charge stored on an object to the potential difference across it. Capacitance is measured in farads (F) and is represented by the symbol C.

5. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electric potential energy between two points. It is typically connected in parallel with the component or circuit being measured to obtain an accurate reading.