Relating partial width to helicity

In summary, the lecture notes discuss two decay modes of ##K^+##, which are ##K^+\rightarrow \mu^+ \nu_\mu## and ##K^+\rightarrow e^+ \nu_e##. These decays are suppressed due to helicity considerations and the suppression factors are ##\frac{m_\mu c^2}{E_\mu}## and ##\frac{m_ec^2}{E_e}## respectively. The ratio of their partial widths is given by ##\frac{\Gamma(K^+\rightarrow \mu^+ \nu_\mu)}{\Gamma(K^+\rightarrow e^+ \nu_e)} = \frac{m_\mu^2}{m_e^2}
sk1105
My lecture notes give an example of two decay modes of ##K^+##, namely ##K^+\rightarrow \mu^+ \nu_\mu## and ##K^+\rightarrow e^+ \nu_e##. Both of these decays are suppressed due to helicity considerations which I understand, and the suppression factors are ##\frac{m_\mu c^2}{E_\mu}## and ##\frac{m_ec^2}{E_e}## respectively.

My notes then say that the ratio of partial widths of these decays is given by ##\frac{\Gamma(K^+\rightarrow \mu^+ \nu_\mu)}{\Gamma(K^+\rightarrow e^+ \nu_e)} = \frac{m_\mu^2}{m_e^2}##.

This immediately follows on from the previous discussion, suggesting that there is some link or equivalence between decay amplitude suppression and partial widths, but I can't quite get my head round it. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
##E_\mu \approx E_e##, and probabilities (and branching fractions and partial widths, they are all proportional to each other) are proportional to the amplitude squared.

Ah ok the proportionality makes sense. My notes don't mention that we approximate the energies to be equal. In a high-energy collision it is clear that the difference in rest energy between the electron and the muon is negligible compared to ##\sqrt{s}##, but in this case are we saying it is negligible compared to the kaon rest energy?

Not negligible if you are interested in precision predictions, but it is a small effect. The 500 MeV from the kaon lead to roughly 250 MeV for the muon (gamma=2.3) and 250 MeV for the neutrino (gamma=very large). To conserve momentum, the muon gets a bit less energy and the neutrino gets a bit more - you can calculate the difference, it is not large. Electron and neutrino get 250 MeV each to a very good approximation.

The ratio is completely dominated by the squared electron to muon mass ratio.

Ah I think that has cleared it up for me; thanks for your help.

sk1105 said:
but in this case are we saying it is negligible compared to the kaon rest energy?
That's right. This approximation is good to about 10% in the ratio of partial widths, as the ratio of phase space factors is ##\frac{(m_K^2-m_e^2)^2}{(m_K^2-m_\mu^2)^2}=1.1##. This is a much worse approximation to make for charge pion decay (ratio of phase space factors ##\sim5.6##.)

1. What is the concept of partial width in relation to helicity?

The partial width of a particle in particle physics refers to the probability of that particle decaying into a specific final state. In the context of helicity, it is a measure of the probability of a particle with a given spin having a specific orientation relative to its direction of motion.

2. How is partial width calculated in experiments?

Partial width is typically calculated using data from particle collider experiments. By measuring the number of final state particles produced and their properties, scientists can determine the partial width of a specific particle in that decay channel.

3. What is the significance of relating partial width to helicity?

Relating partial width to helicity allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental properties of particles. By studying the decay rates and angular distributions of particles, researchers can test and refine theories of particle physics.

4. Can the partial width of a particle change?

Yes, the partial width of a particle can change depending on its energy and the interactions it undergoes. This is because the probability of a particle decaying into a specific final state is affected by its energy and the strength of the interaction.

5. How is helicity used to study the properties of particles?

Helicity is a fundamental property of particles that can be used to study their behavior. For example, by analyzing the helicity of particles in a collider experiment, scientists can determine the spin of the particle and its coupling to other particles, providing valuable insights into the nature of the particle.