Dimension of a partial decay width

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the calculated partial decay width of a coloured scalar Sbb, with some calculations giving a value of 10^-3 GeV and others giving a value of 10^3 GeV. The dimensions of the decay width are correct at GeV, but the numerical value differs, possibly due to a factor of 10^6 being applied incorrectly. The expected value for the decay width is similar to that of the Higgs boson, with a scalar mass of 700 GeV and a coupling of 10^-2.
Safinaz
Hi all,

I know that the dimension of a partial decay width or a cross section should be GeV or pb respectively. But what if i have a decay width probational to

## \Gamma = 10^{-3} GeV^3 G_\mu ##

where I calculated all the masses and constants in ## \Gamma ##, ## G_\mu ## is the Fermi coupling constant equals ## 10^{-5} GeV^{-2} ##, then

## \Gamma = 10^{-8} GeV ##, not GeV, so should I multiply ## \Gamma ## by 10^8 to have the right dimension ?

Regards,
S.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused... you wrote Γ in GeV, and then you say "not GeV"...
why would you multiply it with 10^8 to get the right dimensions? the right dimension for what?

Well, the problem that i calculate this decay width, namely:

Gamma(Sbb) = ((Ybb^2 * mS )/(128* Pi)) * beta^3,

where S is a coloured scalar, mS ~ 700 GeV , it's coupling to b b~ of order 10^-2, and beta =Sqrt[1-4mb^2/mS^2].

This formula is similar to Eq. 2.6 in ( http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0503172v2.pdf ), but i adjusted the colour factors for the coloured scalars and used 1/v^2= G, mf^2/v^2 ~ Ybb^2.

I think now the dimension is aright => GeV, but while calculating this width by Mathematica gives ~ 10^-3 GeV, Matrix element calculators as Madgraph and Calchep gives it ~ 10^3 GeV !, so what is missed in the analytic expression (some factor of 10^6) to make this discrepancy ..

Bests,
S.

The dimensions are right (GeV), just the numerical value disagrees.
106 could indicate some factor of 1000 applied in the wrong way, but it's hard to tell if you don't show all input values and results.

You should get something the same as the Higgs.

Your scalar mass is like 4 times larger, and a 10^-2 coupling for the yukawa is half that of the b roughly. Therefore your answer should be similar to the partial width of that of b quarks. Which is order 10^-3 GeV. So the calchep calculation has been done incorrectly, or its not in GeV

What is the dimension of a partial decay width?

The dimension of a partial decay width is energy or inverse time, typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or seconds (s).

How is the partial decay width related to the lifetime of a particle?

The partial decay width is the inverse of the particle's lifetime. This means that a larger partial decay width corresponds to a shorter lifetime, and vice versa.

Can the partial decay width be experimentally measured?

Yes, the partial decay width can be measured in particle accelerators through the analysis of particle collision data. It can also be indirectly measured through the study of particle decays and their corresponding decay rates.

What factors affect the magnitude of a partial decay width?

The magnitude of a partial decay width is affected by the strength of the interaction responsible for the decay, as well as the mass and energy of the particles involved in the decay process. It may also be affected by other factors, such as the presence of external fields or the presence of other particles in the decay environment.

How does the concept of partial decay width relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties, such as energy and time, can be known simultaneously. The partial decay width is related to this principle because it represents the uncertainty in the energy of a decaying particle, which in turn affects the uncertainty in its lifetime.