Relationship between applied electric field and resulting surface charge desnity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem relating to calculating the relative permittivity of a dielectric slab with a surface charge density of 800 micro Coulomb/m^2 when subjected to an electric field of 10^8 V/m. The individual is unsure if their approach is correct and asks for clarification on the relationship between D and P. They are advised to use a gaussian surface and consider the altered external electric field when the slab is introduced.
sagarbhathwar
I had this problem in my exam. It required me to calculate relative permittivity of a dielectric slab which acquires a surface charge density of 800micro Coulomb/m^2 when subjected to an electric field of 10^8 V/m. Applying E=sigma/(2epsilon), I got relative permittivity as 0.45 which is less than 1. Considering its only a hypothetical question, is my approach right or is it wrong? How can I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface charge density induced in an electric field does not mean that the dielectric slab acquires net charge. Read http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dielec.html
The permittivity of the dielectric is equal to ε=D/E where D is the electric displacement and E is the electric field. D=ε0E+P , P is the polarization density. The normal component of D is the same inside and outside the dielectric at the surface of the dielectric slab.
What is D outside? How is P related to the surface charge density?

Last edited:
Bit confused as to what the problem says. I suppose the idea is the E field outside the slab is 10^8 V/m & you can solve the problem that way. Use a gaussian surface (e.g. "pill box") going from the slab into the external 10^8 V/m field.

But just FYI, if you started with a 10^8 V/m E field and then stuck a slab into it the external E field would itself be altered (raised), depending on the relative thicknesses of the slab and the (presumably) parallel plate separation with E = 10^8 V/m before the slab was introduced, resulting in a higher surface charge density.

The problems says certain charge density is acquired when subjected to electric field. Nothing else at all

sagarbhathwar said:
The problems says certain charge density is acquired when subjected to electric field. Nothing else at all
Sure. Just do the problem per my first paragraph in my previous post.

1. What is the relationship between applied electric field and resulting surface charge density?

The relationship between applied electric field and resulting surface charge density is described by Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of the medium.

2. How does the strength of the applied electric field affect the surface charge density?

The strength of the applied electric field directly affects the surface charge density. As the applied electric field increases, the surface charge density also increases, resulting in a stronger electric field and a larger charge accumulation on the surface.

3. Can the surface charge density be negative?

Yes, the surface charge density can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the applied electric field and the direction of the charge accumulation on the surface are opposite, resulting in a negative surface charge density.

4. What factors influence the relationship between applied electric field and surface charge density?

The relationship between applied electric field and surface charge density is influenced by the permittivity of the medium, the distance between the charges, and the presence of any other charges in the surrounding environment.

5. How can the relationship between applied electric field and surface charge density be experimentally determined?

The relationship between applied electric field and surface charge density can be experimentally determined by measuring the electric field and charge density at various points on the surface and plotting the data. This can be done using instruments such as an electric field meter and a charge sensor.