Relationship between B and induced EMF using Faraday's Law

In summary: Actually I had in my mind something like an AC generator where we control the angular velocity of rotation, I didn't read the OP carefully enough.
Einstein44
Homework Statement
What is the relationship between increasing the magnetic field strength and the induced emf as a magnet falls through a copper coil? Does anyone know it? I believe this would be increasing in a linear manner, but I wanted to be sure about that.
thanks
Relevant Equations
Faradays Law equation in differential form has to be used in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier to see what's going on if you use Faraday's law in integral form. The instantaneous flux through the coil is a function of the distance to the magnet ##z## and the radius of the coil ##a##, i.e. ##\Phi(z,a).## You get that function by integrating the normal component of the magnetic field over the area of the loop ##S##, $$\Phi(z,a)= \int_S \vec B\cdot \hat n~dS$$Then you use Faraday's law to say $$\text{emf}=-\frac{d \Phi(z,a)}{dt}=-\frac{d \Phi(z,a)}{dz}\frac{dz}{dt}=-\frac{d \Phi(z,a)}{dz}v_z.$$I am not sure what you mean by "linear manner", but the expression is linear in ##v_z.## Getting the function ##\Phi(z,a)## is another issue. In general, elliptic integrals are involved that cannot be cast in closed form. You need to make some simplifying assumptions to avoid them.

Likes Delta2 and Einstein44
Somehow I feel the OP asks:"What happens if I double the strength of B?" "Do I get double emf?"

Likes Einstein44
Gordianus said:
Somehow I feel the OP asks:"What happens if I double the strength of B?" "Do I get double emf?"
Yes exactly

kuruman said:
It is easier to see what's going on if you use Faraday's law in integral form. The instantaneous flux through the coil is a function of the distance to the magnet ##z## and the radius of the coil ##a##, i.e. ##\Phi(z,a).## You get that function by integrating the normal component of the magnetic field over the area of the loop ##S##, $$\Phi(z,a)= \int_S \vec B\cdot \hat n~dS$$Then you use Faraday's law to say $$\text{emf}=-\frac{d \Phi(z,a)}{dt}=-\frac{d \Phi(z,a)}{dz}\frac{dz}{dt}=-\frac{d \Phi(z,a)}{dz}v_z.$$I am not sure what you mean by "linear manner", but the expression is linear in ##v_z.## Getting the function ##\Phi(z,a)## is another issue. In general, elliptic integrals are involved that cannot be cast in closed form. You need to make some simplifying assumptions to avoid them.
I was more trying to predict how the graph of B vs emf induced would look like and make the prediction using reasoning from the equations. I am not exactly sure what you did there.

Suppose the field around the magnet is given by ##\vec{B}(\vec{r})## and gives a flux $$\Phi=\iint_A \vec{B}\cdot d\vec{A}$$. If you replace the magnet by a stronger magnet such that the field around the new manget is ##\vec{B'}=k\vec{B}## where ##k>1## then it is easy to prove that the new flux $$\Phi'=k\Phi$$ and hence the new emf $$\mathcal{E}'=\frac{d\Phi'}{dt}=k\frac{d\Phi}{dt}=k\mathcal{E}$$, so yes the relationship is linear.

• Love
Likes Einstein44
Einstein44 said:
I was more trying to predict how the graph of B vs emf induced would look like and make the prediction using reasoning from the equations. I am not exactly sure what you did there.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. Your question has been adequately answered by @Delta2 in # 6 above.

Delta2 said:
Suppose the field around the magnet is given by ##\vec{B}(\vec{r})## and gives a flux $$\Phi=\iint_A \vec{B}\cdot d\vec{A}$$. If you replace the magnet by a stronger magnet such that the field around the new manget is ##\vec{B'}=k\vec{B}## where ##k>1## then it is easy to prove that the new flux $$\Phi'=k\Phi$$ and hence the new emf $$\mathcal{E}'=\frac{d\Phi'}{dt}=k\frac{d\Phi}{dt}=k\mathcal{E}$$, so yes the relationship is linear.
Let me disagree a bit. Even though the flux increases linearly with B, the speed of the falling magnet isn't the same. The stronger the magnet, the lower the terminal speed.

Likes Einstein44
Gordianus said:
Let me disagree a bit. Even though the flux increases linearly with B, the speed of the falling magnet isn't the same. The stronger the magnet, the lower the terminal speed.
I am afraid that is correct. I assumed that the speed of the magnet is controlled by other means and that it follows the same profile in both cases.

Actually I had in my mind something like an AC generator where we control the angular velocity of rotation, I didn't read the OP carefully enough.

Last edited:
Gordianus said:
Nobody said anything about terminal velocity. Usually, when one considers what changes might occur when one parameter is varied it is assumed that "all else remains the same". If the field is doubled, the emf is doubled all else remaining the same, and that includes the instantaneous velocity.

Likes Einstein44 and Delta2
Delta2 said:
Thank you very much, this should answer my question :)

Likes Delta2

1. What is Faraday's Law and how does it relate to the relationship between B and induced EMF?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field (B) can induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor. This means that when the magnetic field around a conductor changes, it can create an electric current in the conductor. The strength of the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.

2. How is the direction of the induced EMF determined?

The direction of the induced EMF is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic field that caused it. This means that the induced current will create its own magnetic field that opposes the original changing magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced EMF?

The strength of the induced EMF is affected by the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor can also affect the strength of the induced EMF.

4. Can Faraday's Law be applied to any type of conductor?

Yes, Faraday's Law can be applied to any type of conductor, including wires, coils, and even non-metallic conductors such as liquids or gases. As long as there is a changing magnetic field and a conductor, an induced EMF can be created.

5. How is Faraday's Law used in real-world applications?

Faraday's Law is used in many real-world applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies like wireless charging and magnetic levitation. Understanding the relationship between B and induced EMF is crucial in designing and optimizing these technologies.