Relationship between funicular polygon and bending moment diagram

In summary, the conversation discussed the similarities between constructing a funicular polygon and bending moment diagrams in civil engineering. It was noted that the polygon represents the forces for equilibrium, while the bending diagram represents how the structure bends to maintain equilibrium. It was also mentioned that the slope of the funicular polygon is related to the shear force, and this can be proven using similar triangles. Additionally, it was noted that the closer a structure can be to the funicular shape, the more efficient it is in terms of materials. The conversation also provided key words for further research, including 'line of thrust' and the relationship between shear force and bending moment.
Fairytales
Hello,

I'm a civil engineering student.
I learned how to contruct a funicular polygon and bending moment diagrams in two different subjects and I realized how close looking the two are, so I wondered if there was a good explanation to relate the two.

I can feel it's kind of the same as the polygon represents the forces in order for the structure to be in equilibrum and the bending diagram represents how the structure bend in order to stay in equilibrum (is that right ?)

Someone also told me yesterday that the slope of the funicular polygon has something to do with the shear force. I think it's because of the fact that the derivative of the bending moment is the shear force but I'm not sure why.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be proved using similar triangles that the funicular polygon is, to some scale, the bending moment diagram The scale comes from the polar diagram from which the funicular polygon is drawn. You might be able to work this out for yourself, since I have given you the clue. The consequences of this principle are huge for minimising the weights of structures. Most bridges have their dimensions determined by bending actions. The closer you can get to the funicular shape, the more efficient in materials the structure is likely to be (not necessarily minimum cost though). If you want to follow this up, the key words include 'line of thrust'. And shear force is the rate of change of bending moment (it can be proved from the definition "shear force at a section is the algebraic sum of forces on one side of the section and parallel to it")

Related to Relationship between funicular polygon and bending moment diagram

1. What is a funicular polygon?

A funicular polygon is a graphical representation of the forces acting on a structure. It is a closed polygon where the sides represent the magnitude and direction of the forces.

2. How is a funicular polygon related to bending moment diagram?

The funicular polygon and the bending moment diagram are both graphical representations of the forces acting on a structure. The funicular polygon shows the distribution of forces along the structure, while the bending moment diagram shows the internal bending moments at each point along the structure.

3. What information can we obtain from a funicular polygon?

A funicular polygon can provide information on the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on a structure, as well as the location of the point of inflection and the maximum bending moment.

4. How is a funicular polygon constructed?

A funicular polygon is constructed by drawing a line representing the direction and magnitude of each force acting on the structure. The lines are then connected to form a closed polygon, with the final line representing the resultant force acting on the structure.

5. What is the significance of the intersection of the funicular polygon and the bending moment diagram?

The intersection of the funicular polygon and the bending moment diagram represents the point of inflection, where the bending moment changes direction from positive to negative or vice versa. This point is important in determining the maximum bending moment and the structural stability of the system.