Calculate shear force and bending moments with a UDL and a point load

In summary, the speaker is asking for assistance with understanding how to calculate the point load on a beam and how it affects the shear and bending moment diagrams. They have completed a question with a UDL case and are unsure how to account for the point load. Another person responds and explains that for a point load at the center of the beam, half of the load goes to each reaction and the bending moments can be looked up in a table. The speaker thanks them for their help.
Ben_Walker1978
Homework Statement
Bending Moments, Shear Force
Relevant Equations
Bending Moments, Shear Force
Hello,

I am looking for some help. I have completed the question below. I will show my answers.

Encastre Question.png

My answer:
Encastre Answer - 1.png

Encastre Answer - 2.png
Encastre Answer - 3.png

I believe this to be correct. If it is not would appreciate someone letting me know so i can correct.

Now i am attempting this question:

Encastre Question - 2.png

Could anyone help, or point me in the right direction so i can them calculate the point load?

I understand how it would look on the Shear force diagram. But not sure how to show the calculations, or calculate the bending diagram.

Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand your concern. The shear and bending moment diagrams for the UDL case look good. For a point load at the center of the beam, 1/2 of the point load goes to each reaction . For the bending moments at the ends and center, you look them up in a table like you did for the UDL case. Then add 'em up for the total combined shear and moment (UDL plus Point Load).

Likes Ben_Walker1978
Yes that is what i wanted to know.

Thank you for your help.

1. How do I calculate the shear force and bending moment of a UDL and a point load?

To calculate the shear force and bending moment of a UDL (uniformly distributed load) and a point load, you will need to use the equations for shear force and bending moment. The shear force is calculated by taking the sum of all the forces acting on the beam at a specific point, while the bending moment is calculated by taking the sum of all the moments caused by the forces. Both equations can be found in any structural engineering textbook or online resource.

2. Can I use the same equations for calculating shear force and bending moment for any type of beam?

Yes, the equations for calculating shear force and bending moment can be used for any type of beam, whether it is a simply supported beam, cantilever beam, or continuous beam. However, the values for the reactions and support conditions will differ depending on the type of beam.

3. What units should I use when calculating shear force and bending moment?

The units for shear force are typically in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), while the units for bending moment are typically in Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). It is important to use consistent units throughout your calculations to avoid errors.

4. How do I determine the maximum shear force and bending moment for a UDL and a point load?

The maximum shear force will occur at the point where the shear force changes sign (from positive to negative or vice versa). The maximum bending moment will occur at the point where the shear force is equal to zero. You can also use the equations for shear force and bending moment to determine the maximum values by plugging in the appropriate values for the beam's length, load, and support conditions.

5. Can I use software or online calculators to calculate shear force and bending moment?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators available that can help you calculate shear force and bending moment for different types of beams and load configurations. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the equations and concepts involved in order to use these tools effectively and verify the results.