Relationship between Newton's laws and distance

In summary, the equations used to solve this problem involve the initial velocity and mass of the crate, and the formula V2=Vi2 + 2a(Xf-Xi). The X component of the normal force and weight are equal to zero in this horizontal motion. The solutions for the two given conditions are d= (initial velocity squared)(mass)/kinetic friction and d= (2 times initial velocity squared)(mass)/kinetic friction, respectively. The final step is to determine the relationship between kinetic friction and the mass of the crate.
sona1177

Homework Statement

a)If the mass of the crate is doubled but the initial velocity is not changed, what distance does the crate slide before stopping? Explain.

b) If the initial velocity of the crate is doubled to 2vi but the mass is not changd, what distance does the crate slide before stopping? Explain.

Homework Equations

V2=Vi2 + 2a(Xf-Xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

in this case, since the motion is horizontal, I though the X COMPONENT OF THE normal force = 0 and the X COMPONENT of the weight is equal to zero. I tried the problem again and for the condition (2m,v) my new answer is d= (initial velocity squared) (mass)/kinetic friction. ANd for condition (m, 2v) my answer is d= (2 times initial velocity squared) (mass)/kinetic friction. I hope these are correct. Thank you kindly for your help. Also, I know this was posted before but I posted it as a reply and i just want to make sure that this is answered so that is why i started another threat. Sorry for taking up the space but can you please tell me if this is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
someone seriously please help!

sona1177 said:

Homework Equations

V2=Vi2 + 2a(Xf-Xi)
Good, that is the right equation to use to think about this.

The Attempt at a Solution

in this case, since the motion is horizontal, I though the X COMPONENT OF THE normal force = 0 and the X COMPONENT of the weight is equal to zero. I tried the problem again and for the condition (2m,v) my new answer is d= (initial velocity squared) (mass)/kinetic friction. ANd for condition (m, 2v) my answer is d= (2 times initial velocity squared) (mass)/kinetic friction. I hope these are correct. Thank you kindly for your help.
Yes, so far so good. Uh, except the "2" should be "1/2", but that won't really matter here.

Next step would be to work on the kinetic friction. What is that equal to? (Hint: use the relation between kinetic friction and the normal force.) Can you relate it to the mass of the crate?

Related to Relationship between Newton's laws and distance

1. How do Newton's laws relate to distance?

Newton's laws of motion describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting on it. The distance an object travels is affected by the forces acting on it, as described by Newton's laws.

2. What is the first law of motion and how does it relate to distance?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will continue to travel at the same distance unless a force, such as friction, acts on it to change its motion.

3. How does the second law of motion explain the relationship between force and distance?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration and distance traveled will be.

4. How does the third law of motion relate to distance?

The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction. This can affect the distance traveled by both objects, as they push against each other.

5. How do Newton's laws explain the motion of objects at different distances?

Newton's laws apply to all objects, regardless of their distance from each other. However, the strength of the forces acting on an object may vary depending on the distance between them. For example, the force of gravity between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases, affecting their motion accordingly.