Relationship between volts and charge

In summary: Berkeman has provided a helpful response to a question about a circuit. He explains that current is the rate of flow of charge, and that by looking at the time constant, one can work out the capacitance of a capacitor.
Jacques
Hi,

I have been given an assignment question detailing a circuit with a few resistors in as well as a capacitator.

Further more the information given was the resitance of the resitors and that the battery had had a potential difference of 9 volts.

The question's part a was workign out the current in the circuit - no problem

The problem however comes in at part b with a question on what the capacitance of the capacitator is.

Now from my understanding of capacitance you need to know the charge and use the forumal C=Q/V but I'm missing Q.

I know V = joules per coulomb but I'm not seeing the relationship to find out what Q is.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jacques

Physics news on Phys.org
If the problem is referring to the DC situation after all voltages and currents have settled to their final values, then I agree that it sounds like you don't have enough information to solve for C. If they give you some time-related information, like you close a switch at time t=0 and by time t=5us the voltage across the capacitor has risen to half of its final value... or something like that, then you can use the exponential rise property of an RC circuit to figure out C.

Could you post the exact question, along with the circuit diagram?

current is the rate of flow of charge

Thanks Berkeman,

In fact they do give me a chart showing the how the current falls from an arbitary 10 amps to 2 amps in 2.5 miliseconds. the question based on the this asks for the time constant.
This question then is followed by the capacitance question.

thanks j

Berkeman,

Thanks for your input, I've got it now, I can read the time constant from the decay graph (time where 36.8% is left) and then I can work out the capacitance

thanks, again

j

Related to Relationship between volts and charge

1. What is the relationship between volts and charge?

The relationship between volts and charge is that volts are a unit of measure for electric potential, while charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it will interact with electric and magnetic fields. In other words, volts measure the strength of an electric field, while charge determines the amount of electric force between two objects.

2. How do volts and charge affect each other?

Volts and charge are directly proportional to each other, meaning that an increase in one will result in an increase in the other. This can be seen in the mathematical equation V = Q/C, where V represents volts, Q represents charge, and C represents capacitance. As the amount of charge increases, so does the voltage.

3. What is the unit of measurement for volts and charge?

Volts are measured in units of volts (V), while charge is measured in units of coulombs (C). One coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.241 × 10^18 protons or electrons.

4. How does the relationship between volts and charge affect electrical circuits?

The relationship between volts and charge is essential in understanding how electrical circuits work. When there is a difference in voltage between two points in a circuit, it creates an electric field that allows charge to flow from one point to another. This flow of charge is what powers the circuit and allows it to perform its intended function.

5. Can the relationship between volts and charge be manipulated?

Yes, the relationship between volts and charge can be manipulated by changing the voltage or the amount of charge. For example, if the voltage is increased while the amount of charge remains constant, the electric field will become stronger. Alternatively, if the voltage remains constant while the amount of charge increases, the electric field will spread out over a larger area.