Relative Body Angles of a Human Moving Through Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of angular momentum in a human moving through space with constant acceleration due to gravity. The question is whether the resulting knee response, as a function of time, depends on the direction of gravity. The equations of motion for a high jumper in midair are being formulated, with the suggestion of tracking the center of mass and the relative body angles independently. It is noted that the orientation in space can be changed without external torque and without total angular momentum.
LRino

Homework Statement

Say a human is moving through space with constant acceleration due to gravity. There are no external forces/torques on the body other than the force of gravity. The person applies an internal torque at some joint, let's say the knees, so that they bend. Assume the rest of the body is rigid. I believe angular momentum is conserved here about the center of mass of the entire body at all times. The resulting motion I care about is the relative knee angle between the upper and lower legs. Would the resulting knee response as a function of time depend on the direction of gravity (i.e. facing the direction of fall vs. facing away from it)?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Angular Momentum
Newton's Third Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to formulate equations of motion for a high jumper in midair, and I'm wondering if I could split the problem up by tracking the center of mass of the entire body using simple projectile motion equations and ignoring gravity to solve the relative body angles part. The center of mass and relative body angles would be solved independently as a function of time and then combined later using the definition of center of mass so that the position of the jumper's body parts could be found as a function of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
LRino said:
I believe angular momentum is conserved here about the center of mass of the entire body at all times.
Right.

Gravitation accelerates all body parts in the same way*, it is not relevant for the orientation.
*assuming the human is small compared to the diameter of earth. Certainly a good assumption.

Note that you can change your orientation in space even without external torque and without total angular momentum. Cats are very good at that.

Thanks!

FAQs:

1. What is the relative body angle of a human moving through space?

The relative body angle of a human moving through space is the angle at which a person's body is positioned in relation to their surroundings as they move through space.

2. How is the relative body angle of a human determined?

The relative body angle of a human can be determined by measuring the angles of the different body segments, such as the arms, legs, and torso, in relation to each other and to the direction of movement.

3. What factors can affect the relative body angle of a human moving through space?

The relative body angle of a human can be affected by a variety of factors, including the individual's body proportions, flexibility, and coordination, as well as the speed and direction of movement.

4. Why is studying relative body angles important for scientists?

Studying relative body angles can provide valuable insight into how humans move and interact with their environment. This information can be used to improve athletic performance, prevent injuries, and design more efficient and ergonomic equipment.

5. Can relative body angles change over time?

Yes, relative body angles can change over time, as they are influenced by factors such as age, physical fitness, and training. With practice and training, individuals can improve their relative body angles and movement patterns.