Relative velocity and projectile motion problem solving

In summary, the conversation revolves around a complete solution provided by the speaker for a specific question. They are seeking feedback and clarification on their solution, which is deemed professional. The solution involves using kinematic equations to calculate the time of flight and the final results seem to be accurate, despite minor arithmetic errors. The speaker expresses a preference for using algebra rather than dealing with long decimal numbers.
SAM31
Homework Statement
Question 2:A golf ball is hit from 4.3 m above a golfing fairway with an initial velocity of 30.0 m/s at an angle of 35° above the horizontal.
A. Determine the time of flight for the ball.
B. Determine the range for the golf ball.
C. Determine the velocity for the golf ball the instant before the ball impacts the ground.
Relevant Equations
Pythagorean theorem equations
2.21.png

2.22.png

2.23.png

2.24.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you have a complete solution. Is there a question you wish to ask or are you posting a solution for the benefit of others?

kuruman said:
It seems that you have a complete solution. Is there a question you wish to ask?
I was wondering if someone could look over the steps to ensure I'm on the right track and provide me with any feedback!

Is this your solution or someone else's? If yours, it looks professional. I have not put in the numbers, but it looks right.

kuruman said:
Is this your solution or someone else's?
This is my own attempt at a solution for the question asked above

See edited post #4. If you wish to check your work, plug in the time of flight in the kinematic equations and see if the ball lands where you thought it would be.

Arithmetic errors creep in here:

1663678021724.png

but they do not affect the final results to 2sf, and otherwise it looks good.

SAM31 said:
This is my own attempt at a solution for the question asked above
All those long decimal numbers don't look good to me. This is why algebra was invented.

Likes SammyS

1. What is relative velocity and how is it calculated?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the first object from the velocity of the second object.

2. How do you solve projectile motion problems?

To solve projectile motion problems, you will need to use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations. You will also need to break down the motion into horizontal and vertical components, and consider factors such as gravity and air resistance.

3. What is the difference between absolute and relative velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to a fixed point, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another moving object.

4. How can you determine the angle of projection in a projectile motion problem?

The angle of projection in a projectile motion problem can be determined by using the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. You will need to know the initial velocity and the horizontal and vertical components of the motion.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the motion, causing a decrease in velocity and a change in the direction of the object's path.