Relative velocity boat crossing a river

In summary, the problem involves a boat crossing a river with a width of 240 m. The river flows parallel to the straight banks with a velocity of 12 m/s, while the boat's velocity relative to the river is 5 m/s. The magnitude of the actual velocity of the boat is 13 m/s. It takes the boat 48 seconds to cross the river and it travels a distance of 576 m downstream in doing so. There seems to be a discrepancy with the book, as it uses 12 m/s as the relative speed and states that it takes 20 seconds to cross the river.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A boat crosses river, 240 m wide,which flows parallel to the straight banks with velocity
v1 = 12i, while the velocity of the boat relative to the river is v2 = 5j where v1 and v2 are measure in m/s

(i) find the magnitude of the actual velocity of the boat.

(ii) find how long it takes the boat to cross the river and the distance it has traveled downstream in doing so

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)(12^2 + 5^2)^(1/2) = 13 m/s

(ii) relative distance/relative speed = 240/5 =48 s

48(12) =576 m

can somebody tell if part (ii) is right the back of my book seems to use 12 as the relative speed since it says it takes 20 seconds.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct.

ehild

yes, it looks as if the book has got the 12 and the 5 the wrong way round :redface:

Thanks.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the given information and the assumptions made. It is assumed that the boat is moving in a straight line and the river is flowing parallel to the banks. Also, the velocities of the boat and the river are given as v1 = 12i and v2 = 5j, respectively. It is important to note that these velocities are in vector form, with i and j representing the x and y directions, respectively.

To find the magnitude of the actual velocity of the boat, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the resultant velocity. The resultant velocity (v) can be expressed as v = √(v1^2 + v2^2), where v1 and v2 are the x and y components of the velocity, respectively. Therefore, the magnitude of the actual velocity of the boat is √(12^2 + 5^2) = 13 m/s.

To find the time it takes for the boat to cross the river and the distance it travels downstream, we can use the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. In this case, the distance traveled is equal to the width of the river, which is 240 m. Therefore, we can write the equation as 240 m = v*t.

To find the time, we need to determine the relative speed of the boat and the river. The relative speed can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of the river (v2 = 5j) from the velocity of the boat (v1 = 12i). This gives us a relative speed of √(12^2 + (-5)^2) = √(144 + 25) = √169 = 13 m/s.

Substituting this value in the equation, we get 240 m = (13 m/s)*t. Solving for t, we get t = 240 m / 13 m/s = 18.46 s. Therefore, it takes the boat approximately 18.46 seconds to cross the river.

To find the distance traveled downstream, we can use the formula d = vt again. In this case, the velocity is the relative speed of 13 m/s and the time is 18.46 s. Substituting these values, we get d = (13 m/s)*(18.46

1. What is the concept of relative velocity in a boat crossing a river?

The concept of relative velocity in a boat crossing a river refers to the combined motion of the boat and the water. As the boat moves forward, the water's flow creates a perpendicular force that affects the boat's velocity, making it appear to move at an angle.

2. How does the speed of the river affect the boat's relative velocity?

The speed of the river affects the boat's relative velocity by adding to or subtracting from the boat's speed depending on the direction of the river's flow. If the river is flowing in the same direction as the boat, it will add to the boat's speed, and if the river is flowing in the opposite direction, it will subtract from the boat's speed.

3. How does the angle of the boat's path affect its relative velocity?

The angle of the boat's path affects its relative velocity by changing the direction of the boat's motion. If the boat is moving at a right angle to the river's flow, its relative velocity will be affected the most, and if it is moving parallel to the river's flow, its relative velocity will be affected the least.

4. What is the formula for calculating the boat's relative velocity?

The formula for calculating the boat's relative velocity is Vb = √(Vr² + Vw²), where Vb is the boat's relative velocity, Vr is the boat's speed, and Vw is the river's speed. This formula takes into account the direction of the river's flow and the angle of the boat's path.

5. How can the concept of relative velocity be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of relative velocity is essential in various real-life situations, such as navigation, air traffic control, and sports. It helps in understanding the impact of external forces on an object's motion and allows for more accurate predictions and calculations. For example, pilots must consider the wind's relative velocity when flying, and athletes must consider the wind's relative velocity when competing in outdoor events.