Relative Velocity of Balls: Solving for t=1 sec

In summary: The acceleration due to gravity is always downward, so it is negative if you choose upward to be positive. When you subtract g*t, you are finding the change in velocity due to gravity. If you add g*t, you are finding the total velocity, including the initial velocity. In summary, the relative velocity of the balls when they pass each other at t=1 second is 10m/s. This is because one ball is moving down with a velocity of 9.8m/s and the other is moving up with a velocity of 0.2m/s, resulting in a relative velocity of 10m/s. The professor's use of v(f) = vi-gt is to account for the acceleration due
Litcyb

Homework Statement

Ball 1 is dropped from rest at a height of 10m above the ground. at the same time, ball 2 is thrown straight upward from ground level with an initial speed of 10m/s.

Homework Equations

find the relative velocity of the balls when they pass each other at t=1 second?

equation given, relative velocity ==> v12= lv2-v1l

vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

since ball1 is falling, in respect to earth, the acceleration is possitive thus, v1f=v1i+at equals, vf= 0+9.8m/s^2 *1s

vf= 9.8 m/s

for ball 2 the ball is thrown upwards, thus being in a negative acceleration in respect to Earth thus,

v2F=v2i+a*t
V2f= 10m/s+ (-9.8m/s^2)(1s)

v2f= 0.2

now, lV2-V1l = 9.6m/s

now, the correct answer is 10m/s

and i wonder how come and why??

could it be that in respect to each other, their acceleration is negative? thus, resulting in

v1=-9.8
v2=0.2

lv2-v1l = l0.2+9.8l = 10m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
Litcyb said:

Homework Statement

Ball 1 is dropped from rest at a height of 10m above the ground. at the same time, ball 2 is thrown straight upward from ground level with an initial speed of 10m/s.

Homework Equations

find the relative velocity of the balls when they pass each other at t=1 second?equation given, relative velocity ==> v12= lv2-v1l

vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

since ball1 is falling, in respect to earth, the acceleration is possitive thus, v1f=v1i+at equals, vf= 0+9.8m/s^2 *1s

vf= 9.8 m/s

for ball 2 the ball is thrown upwards, thus being in a negative acceleration in respect to Earth thus,

v2F=v2i+a*t
V2f= 10m/s+ (-9.8m/s^2)(1s)

v2f= 0.2

now, lV2-V1l = 9.6m/s

now, the correct answer is 10m/s

and i wonder how come and why??

could it be that in respect to each other, their acceleration is negative? thus, resulting in

v1=-9.8
v2=0.2

lv2-v1l = l0.2+9.8l = 10m/s?
Remember that the balls are traveling in opposite directions so the velocities have opposite signs.

so if i initially calculated that v1= 9.8 and v2= 0.2 their opposite signs would be -9.8 and -0.2 and when applied to the equation lv2-v1l = l -0.2+ 9.8l is still 9.6 m/s :-/

and for some reason the professor uses, v(f) = vi-gt

why is he subtracting gravitational force * time? shouldn't it be adding

Last edited:
Litcyb said:
so if i initially calculated that v1= 9.8 and v2= 0.2 their opposite signs would be -9.8 and -0.2 and when applied to the equation lv2-v1l = l -0.2+ 9.8l is still 9.6 m/s :-/

and for some reason the professor uses, v(f) = vi-gt

why is he subtracting gravitational force * time? shouldn't it be adding

You misinterpreted my above statement. If one ball is moving down and the other ball moves up then, v_up will have the opposite sign of v_down. Which one is positive and which is negative will depend on your choice of coordinate system.

Your professor is probably using a convention where g is always positive. So, he changes the sign in the equations when necessary instead of the sign of g itself.

Also, note that g is the acceleration due to gravity, not the force of gravity.

I would first clarify the question with the person who gave the homework. It seems that there may be some confusion about the direction of the velocities and the reference frame being used. If we assume that the velocities are with respect to the ground, then the relative velocity at t=1 second should be 9.6 m/s. However, if we assume that the velocities are with respect to each other, then the relative velocity should be 10 m/s. It is important to clearly define the reference frame and direction of velocities in order to accurately solve this problem.

1. What is the formula for calculating relative velocity?

The formula for relative velocity is vAB = vB - vA, where vAB is the relative velocity of object A with respect to object B, vB is the velocity of object B, and vA is the velocity of object A.

2. How is relative velocity different from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of one object with respect to another, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to a fixed point. In other words, absolute velocity is the speed and direction of an object in a specific reference frame, while relative velocity is the speed and direction of an object in relation to another moving object.

3. What is the significance of solving for t=1 sec in the relative velocity equation?

Solving for t=1 sec in the relative velocity equation allows us to determine the relative velocity of two objects at a specific moment in time, which can be useful in analyzing collisions and other dynamic systems. It also helps us understand the change in relative velocity over time.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative if the two objects are moving in opposite directions. This indicates that the objects are moving away from each other.

5. How does the mass of the objects affect relative velocity?

The mass of the objects does not directly affect relative velocity. However, it can affect the force and acceleration involved in the motion, which in turn can affect the relative velocity. For example, in a collision between two objects, the mass of the objects will determine how much force is needed to change their velocities, and therefore, will affect the resulting relative velocity.