Relatively prime integer proof

In summary: Since p divides both a and b, they have a common divisor, which contradicts the fact that a and b were reduced to lowest terms. Therefore, our initial assumption that p^(1/n) can be expressed as a fraction is false, and p^(1/n) must be irrational.
rideabike

Homework Statement

Let p be a prime and let n≥2 be an integer. Prove that p1/n is irrational.

Homework Equations

We know that for integers a>1 and b such that gcd(a,b)=1, a does not divide b^n for any n≥

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove irrationality, assume p^(1/n)=a/b for integers a and b≠0.
This is equivalent to an=pbn

If we've assumed a and b have been reduced to lowest terms, gcd(a,b)=1.
Then the proof by contradiction would follow directly if it were just a=pbn
But what do I do since it's an?

Physics news on Phys.org
rideabike said:

Homework Statement

Let p be a prime and let n≥2 be an integer. Prove that p1/n is irrational.

Homework Equations

We know that for integers a>1 and b such that gcd(a,b)=1, a does not divide b^n for any n≥

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove irrationality, assume p^(1/n)=a/b for integers a and b≠0.
This is equivalent to an=pbn

If we've assumed a and b have been reduced to lowest terms, gcd(a,b)=1.
Then the proof by contradiction would follow directly if it were just a=pbn
But what do I do since it's an?

How would the proof by contradiction follow from a=pb^n?

Dick said:
How would the proof by contradiction follow from a=pb^n?
Since gcd(a,b)=1 and a does not divide b^n for any n≥1, by Euclid's Lemma a divides p, which is a contradiction since p is prime.

Or does this not work because a is not necessarily greater than 1?

rideabike said:
Since gcd(a,b)=1 and a does not divide b^n for any n≥1, by Euclid's Lemma a divides p, which is a contradiction since p is prime.

Or does this not work because a is not necessarily greater than 1?

a isn't necessarily prime. You can't use Euclid's lemma that way. Sorry about my previous post. I deleted it. I was reading too fast.

Last edited:
Dick said:
No. It works. But can't you use the same sort of idea to show that if p divides a^n, then p divides a? a^n=a*a^(n-1). If p doesn't divide a then it must divide a^(n-1).

How do we know p doesn't divide a?

rideabike said:
How do we know p doesn't divide a?

You can show p divides a. If p divides a^n (which it does) then p divides a. Would you agree with that? Sorry about the confusion of my previous post. I modified it.

Dick said:
You can show p divides a. If p divides a^n (which it does) then p divides a. Would you agree with that? Sorry about the confusion of my previous post. I modified it.
Okay, I see that now, it's recursive.
Then you could replace a with pk for some integer k.
Then (pk)^n=pb^n
p^(n-1)k^n=b^n

Could the same logic as before be used to show p divides b, hence a and b have a common divisor, producing a contradiction?

rideabike said:
Okay, I see that now, it's recursive.
Then you could replace a with pk for some integer k.
Then (pk)^n=pb^n
p^(n-1)k^n=b^n

Could the same logic as before be used to show p divides b, hence a and b have a common divisor, producing a contradiction?

Yes, that's it exactly.

Related to Relatively prime integer proof

What is a relatively prime integer?

A relatively prime integer is a positive whole number that has no common factors (other than 1) with another positive whole number. In other words, the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two relatively prime integers is 1.

How do you prove that two integers are relatively prime?

There are several methods to prove that two integers are relatively prime. One way is to find the GCD of the two numbers and if it is equal to 1, then the numbers are relatively prime. Another way is to use the Euclidean algorithm to find the GCD. Additionally, you can also use prime factorization to determine if two numbers are relatively prime.

Can any two positive integers be relatively prime?

No, not all positive integers can be relatively prime. For example, the numbers 6 and 8 are not relatively prime since they share a common factor of 2. However, any two coprime numbers (numbers that have no common factors) are relatively prime.

Is it possible for three or more integers to be relatively prime?

Yes, it is possible for three or more integers to be relatively prime. For example, the numbers 5, 7, and 11 are all relatively prime since they do not have any common factors. Similarly, any set of coprime numbers can also be considered relatively prime.

What are some real-world applications of relatively prime integers?

Relatively prime integers have various applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and number theory. In cryptography, relatively prime numbers are used to generate public and private keys for secure communication. In computer science, they are used in algorithms for efficient data storage and retrieval. In number theory, relatively prime numbers are used to study prime numbers and their properties.