Relatively simple question about building a generator

In summary, The speaker is interested in building a gas powered DC generator to charge a small 36 volt battery bank. They believe a 500w 36volt generator would suffice, but they are unsure of the minimum displacement necessary to turn the generator. They need to charge 432Wh with as little fuel as possible and have found an engine with a displacement of 10cc's and an output of 1.6 hp, but they are unsure if this is enough. They believe they may need a larger engine, possibly at least 25cc's, to achieve their desired half kilowatt power output. They are seeking advice on the matter.
freethought202
Hi, I'm interested in building a gas powered DC generator to charge a small 36 volt battery bank. I think a 500w 36volt generator would do fine, but my question is, what would be a minimum displacement necessary to turn the generator? Basically, the smallest, most efficient, gas engine to charge 3 12v,12Ah batteries. So, I need to charge 432Wh as little fuel as possible. I was looking into it and found that 1 kilowatt converts to about 1.3 horsepower and found an engine with a displacement of 10cc's which had an output of about 1.6 hp. I think my figures must be wrong or there's a factor I'm not considering because this engine is pocket sized I'm not even speaking figuratively. I only need half a kilowatt, but I don't think I can get that out of this engine, It looks to me like I would need more like at least a 25cc, but I want to get an opinion. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have not specified the time you permit to charge the 36V 12AH batteries.
A power of one watt is one joule per second. You must consider the time it must take.

Related to Relatively simple question about building a generator

1. What is a generator?

A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a rotating coil of wire within a magnetic field, which produces an electric current.

2. How does a generator work?

A generator works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. When the coil of wire is rotated within the magnetic field, it creates a current by inducing a voltage in the wire.

3. What materials do I need to build a generator?

The materials needed to build a generator may vary, but typically include a coil of wire, a magnet, a power source (such as a hand crank or turbine), and some basic tools for assembly.

4. Are there different types of generators?

Yes, there are different types of generators, including AC generators, DC generators, and specialized generators for specific purposes such as wind or solar power.

5. Is it difficult to build a generator?

Building a generator can vary in difficulty depending on the type and complexity of the design. However, with the right materials, instructions, and some basic knowledge of electronics, it can be a relatively simple project to complete.