Relativistic Action Math Help: The Classical Theory of Fields

In summary, the author is discussing how to find the differentials of a function, and how they use the metric tensor. They mention that if you move one of the indices up or down, the result will be unchanged, and that it is useful to be familiar with the relations between the indices.
electricspit
Hello! I'm currently going through The Classical Theory of Fields - Landau, Lifshitz and I needed a bit of help on some of the math going on in a certain section.

The book can be found here https://archive.org/details/TheClassicalTheoryOfFields

On page 27, they give the action as:

[itex]\delta S = -mc \delta \int\limits_a^b ds =0[/itex]

With [itex]ds^2 = dx_i dx^i[/itex]. The definition of [itex]ds[/itex] does not bother me, but the steps they then take are very odd and I'm not quite sure how they obtain the equation before 9.10. If anyone could help that would be awesome!

If anyone doesn't want to open that PDF here is the line I'm speaking of, which they basically jump right into without explanation (it is assumed knowledge):

[itex]\delta S = -mc \int\limits_a^b \frac{dx_i \delta dx^i}{\sqrt{ds}}=-mc \int\limits_a^b u_i d\delta x^i[/itex]

Where [itex]u_i = \frac{dx_i}{ds}[/itex].

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess this should have been posted in the Relativity subforum, whoops.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\delta ds = \delta (dx_i dx^i)^{1/2} = ds^{-1}dx_i \delta dx^i = u_i d \delta x^i## where I have used ##d \delta x^i = \delta dx^i##.

Likes 1 person
I think you forgot a square root:

[itex]\delta ds = \delta \sqrt{dx_i dx^i} = \frac{1}{2} dx_i \delta dx^i ds^{-1/2}[/itex]

and therein lies my question, why is [itex]dx^i[/itex] effected by [itex]\delta[/itex] whereas [itex]dx_i[/itex] apparently not?

I suppose we have:

[itex]\sqrt{ds} = \frac{ds}{\sqrt{ds}}[/itex]

Which would give the integrand as:

[itex]\frac{dx_i \delta dx^i \sqrt{ds}}{2\bullet ds}[/itex]

Which would yield:

[itex]\frac{1}{2} u_i \delta dx^i \sqrt{ds}[/itex]I don't know if I'm using the [itex]\delta[/itex] operator correctly. I'm assuming it means find the differentials.

I didn't forget a square root. ##\delta (dx_i dx^i)^{1/2} = \frac{1}{2}(dx_i dx^i)^{-1/2}\delta(dx_i dx^i) = ds^{-1}dx_i \delta dx^i = u_i d \delta x^i##.

The line ##\frac{1}{2}(dx_i dx^i)^{-1/2}\delta(dx_i dx^i) = ds^{-1}dx_i \delta dx^i## makes use of ##ds = (dx_i dx^i)^{1/2}##
and ##\delta (dx_i dx^i) = dx_i \delta dx^i + dx^i \delta dx_i = 2dx_i \delta dx^i##.

Likes 1 person
Oh my I'm out of it apparently, thank you.

Also thank you for the explanation of the rest, I really appreciate it. Working with differentials isn't my strong point (hopefully it will be soon!).

Why is the last line true, I'm also new to four vector notation and the relations between them.

Last edited:
electricspit said:
Why is the last line true, I'm also new to four vector notation and the relations between them.

##dx_i \delta dx^i = dx^i \delta dx_i## (these are dummy indices so you can move them up and down at whim without changing the expression so long as Einstein summation is obeyed)

More explicitly ##dx_i \delta dx^i = g_{ij}dx^i \delta dx^j = g_{ji}dx^j \delta dx^i = g_{ij}dx^j \delta dx^i = dx^j \delta dx_j = dx^i \delta dx_i## where ##g_{ij}## is the metric tensor and I have used the fact that it is symmetric in its indices as well as the fact that I can relabel dummy indices to whatever I want as long as Einstein summation is obeyed.

Likes 1 person
Right, I remember reading in this text that:

[itex]A^i = - A_i[/itex]

so moving one up and the other down would cause no sign change.

Thank you again!

1. What is the classical theory of fields?

The classical theory of fields is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of physical fields, such as electromagnetic fields, in a classical, non-quantum framework. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and electrodynamics, and is used to describe the interactions between matter and fields.

2. What is the role of relativity in the classical theory of fields?

Relativity plays a crucial role in the classical theory of fields as it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of fields and particles at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields. It also helps to reconcile the laws of electromagnetism with the laws of motion, leading to the development of the theory of special relativity.

3. How does the classical theory of fields differ from quantum field theory?

The classical theory of fields is a classical, non-quantum theory that describes the behavior of fields and particles in a continuous and deterministic manner. In contrast, quantum field theory describes the behavior of fields in a quantum framework, where particles are quantized and their behavior is described probabilistically.

4. What is the importance of the action principle in the classical theory of fields?

The action principle is a fundamental principle in the classical theory of fields that states that the physical laws governing a system can be derived from a single, underlying action function. This principle is important as it allows for a more elegant and unified description of physical phenomena, and has been successfully applied to various fields of physics, including classical mechanics and electrodynamics.

5. How is the classical theory of fields used in modern physics?

The classical theory of fields is still widely used in modern physics, particularly in fields such as theoretical physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It provides a solid foundation for understanding the behavior of fields and particles in various physical systems, and has been instrumental in the development of many important theories, such as general relativity and quantum field theory.