Equation of Motion: Deriving from Principle of Least Action

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation of motion from the principle of least action using the equations provided. The step in question involves taking the derivative of the action functional and using partial integration to simplify the equation. This is a common method used when deriving Euler-Lagrange equations.
thepopasmurf
I'm going through Landau/Lifgarbagez's book II of theoretical physics. In it they have a derivation of the equation of motion from the principle of least action, however I don't understand one step.

Homework Statement

Derive the equation of motion:
[itex]\frac{d^2x^i}{ds^2}+\Gamma^i_{kj} \frac{dx^k}{ds} \frac{dx^j}{ds}=0[/itex]
Using the principle of least action:
[itex]\delta S=-mc\delta\int ds=0[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\Gamma_{i,kj}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}+\frac{\partial g_{ij}}{\partial x^k}-\frac{\partial g_{kj}}{\partial x^i}\right)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\delta ds^2=2ds\delta ds = \delta(g_{ik}dx^i dx^k)=dx^i dx^k \frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}\delta x^j + 2g_{ik}dx^i d\delta x^k[/itex]

Therefore

[itex]\delta S = -mc\int\left\{\frac{1}{2}\frac{dx^i}{ds}\frac{dx^k}{ds}\frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}\delta x^j + g_{ik}\frac{dx^i}{ds}\frac{d\delta x^k}{ds}\right\}[/itex]

which equals

[itex]\delta S = -mc \int \left\{\frac{1}{2} \frac{dx^i}{ds} \frac{dx^k}{ds} \frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}\delta x^j - \frac{d}{ds}\left\{ g_{ik} \frac{x^i}{ds}\right\} \delta x^k \right\} ds[/itex]

The step I don't understand is going from the second last line to the last line.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is ok ? You missed the d there. Ok, he takes out d/ds for the whole term (this gives 0 upon integration, because of the limit/boundary conditions), then by partial integration he gets that term with -. This is a standard trick when deriving Euler-Lagrange eqns from the action functional.

Thanks, that has made it clear for me.

What is the concept of the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is a fundamental principle in physics that states that a physical system will always take the path of least action. This means that out of all the possible paths that the system could take, it will choose the one that minimizes the action, which is a quantity that represents the difference between the potential energy and the kinetic energy of the system.

How is the equation of motion derived from the principle of least action?

The equation of motion is derived from the principle of least action by considering all possible paths that the system could take and finding the one that minimizes the action. This path is then used to derive the equation of motion, which describes how the system will evolve over time.

What are the key assumptions in deriving the equation of motion from the principle of least action?

The key assumptions in deriving the equation of motion from the principle of least action include assuming that the system is conservative (i.e. the total energy is conserved), that the system is in equilibrium, and that the path of least action is a continuous and smooth function.

What is the significance of the equation of motion derived from the principle of least action?

The equation of motion derived from the principle of least action is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of how physical systems behave. It allows us to predict the future behavior of a system based on its initial conditions and the forces acting upon it.

Are there any limitations to using the principle of least action to derive the equation of motion?

While the principle of least action is a powerful tool for understanding physical systems, it does have its limitations. It may not be applicable to systems with non-conservative forces, such as friction, and it may not always provide the most accurate predictions for quantum systems.