Relativistic momentum (Lorentz boost) low velocity limit

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a momenta pμ=(E,px,py,pz) via a Lorentz boost in the x-direction with velocity v. The resulting 0th component is E′=γE+γvpx, which is equivalent to transforming the energy by a Galilei transformation with the same velocity v in the limit of low velocities. However, for the term γvpx, the relativistic case has a sign error (γvpx instead of γvpx) and loses the term 1/2mv², leading to a different result.
Neutrinos02
Hello,

If I have a momenta pμ=(E,px,py,pz) and transform it via lorentz boost in x-direction with velocity v I'll get for the new 0th component E′=γE+γvpx why is this in the limit of low velocities the same as transforming the energy by a galilei transformation with velocity v? For γvpx i get something like vpx+O(v³) and with a galilei transformation I'll have terms (with px=mu) like 1/2m(u−v)²=1/2mu²−vpx+1/2mv². So in the relativistic case I got the wrong sing for vpx+O(v³)and lost the 1/2mv²? Did I make a mistake?

Thanks for help
Neutrinos

Physics news on Phys.org
For the sign error, if if you have (u-v) in the Galilean case, you need E′=γE-γvpx for the corresponding relativistic case. The rest is just algebra, but I am not disposed to work it out right now.

What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on an object's momentum. It is calculated using the equation p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

What is the Lorentz boost?

The Lorentz boost is a mathematical transformation used in special relativity to convert measurements between different inertial reference frames. It takes into account the time dilation and length contraction effects predicted by special relativity.

What is the low velocity limit of relativistic momentum?

The low velocity limit of relativistic momentum refers to the behavior of the relativistic momentum equation at velocities much lower than the speed of light. In this limit, the equation simplifies to the classical momentum equation, p = mv, which is used in non-relativistic physics.

How does relativistic momentum change with increasing velocity?

As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its relativistic momentum increases significantly. This is due to the denominator of the relativistic momentum equation, which becomes smaller as the velocity approaches c, resulting in a larger overall momentum value.

Why is it important to consider relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is important because it accurately describes the momentum of objects moving at high speeds, which is necessary for understanding many phenomena in the universe, such as particle accelerators and the behavior of objects in space.