Relativistic Spaceship moving past Earth

In summary, the water surface on Earth tilts 5 degrees with respect to the horizontal, as observed from the relativistic spaceship.
PermaTrashed

Homework Statement

A relativistic spaceship is moving "horizontally" past Earth at 99% speed of light (c), and the water in the ship's swimming pool rises at 5 m/s. What is the tilt of the water surface with respect to the horizontal, AS OBSERVED FROM EARTH?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using simple trigonometry to find the angle between the velocity of the ship and the velocity of the water, but cannot translate this to find an angle between the acceleration of the Earth vector and the velocity of the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi PermaTrashed! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm not sure that you're seeing the issue here.

The astronauts are pouring water into the pool, and in their frame the water level is a horizontal line moving vertically at 5 m/s.

So write the equation for the water surface in x,y,z,t then convert that into x',y',z',t' and put t' = 0 to find what the water looks like at any fixed time on Earth. :wink:

Wow I do have it wrong then, I totally thought the water rising was due to the gravitational field of Earth, it doesn't say anything about astronauts pouring water into it, thanks a lot!

if the direction of the velocity of water is parallel to the ships velocity, you will need relativistic velocity addition, which is by no means easy to derive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula
otherwise if the water moves perpendicular to the spaceship, the answer is simply 5 m/s

ardie said:
if the direction of the velocity of water is parallel to the ships velocity, you will need relativistic velocity addition, which is by no means easy to derive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula
otherwise if the water moves perpendicular to the spaceship, the answer is simply 5 m/s

But it's not asking for the velocity, it's asking for the tilt of the water WRT the horizontal axis in Earth's frame

yup! :smile: use the method i suggested …
tiny-tim said:
So write the equation for the water surface in x,y,z,t then convert that into x',y',z',t' and put t' = 0 to find what the water looks like at any fixed time on Earth. :wink:

What I don't understand is that from reference of Earth, the tilt of the surface of water won't change, it still will be horizontal, just moving in the diagonal direction. Is this angle (the angle at which it travels diagonally) what I'm looking for?

PermaTrashed said:
… from reference of Earth, the tilt of the surface of water won't change, it still will be horizontal, just moving in the diagonal direction.

No.

y' = y, but t' ≠ t.

What is the equation (in x y z and t) for the water surface in the spaceship frame?

in the spaceship frame, y'=5.0t where t=ζ(t'+vx'/c^2)?? Then in the Earth's frame x=ζ(x'+vt), then its just the angle between x and y?

PermaTrashed said:
in the spaceship frame, y'=5.0t

Nooo, you're already confusing me :confused:

in any frame, either use y and t, or use y' and t'.

Start again.​

Right, so y'=5.0m/s(t') in the spaceship frame, and then x=ζ(x'+vt)?

PermaTrashed said:
Right, so y'=5.0m/s(t') in the spaceship frame, and then x=ζ(x'+vt)?

just write it y'=5t' …

now translate y' and 5t' into x y and t :smile:

Word, that makes more sense, so t'=ζ(t-vx/c2) and then I find the angle between y=5t' and x=ζ(x'+vt) then plug in t' and x'=0?

before you can use the Lorentz transformations to find out the contraction of the length, you will need the relative velocity of the two objects, and for that you need the relativistic velocity addition i just wrote, although moving at 99% of the speed of light, you probably get something very similar as a result.

(just got up :zzz: …)
PermaTrashed said:
Word, that makes more sense, so t'=ζ(t-vx/c2) and then I find the angle between y=5t' and x=ζ(x'+vt) then plug in t' and x'=0?

(why are you using zeta (ζ ) instead of the usual gamma (γ)? :confused:)

that's very confusing :redface:

just write y' = 5t' as y = 5γ(t-vx/c2),

then put t = constant (eg 0) :smile:

Sorry I couldn't find the gamma key, so that all seems correct then? Thanks for all the help!

Related to Relativistic Spaceship moving past Earth

What is a relativistic spaceship?

A relativistic spaceship is a hypothetical spacecraft that is capable of traveling at speeds close to the speed of light. This concept is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that as an object approaches the speed of light, it experiences an increase in mass and a decrease in time dilation.

How fast can a relativistic spaceship travel?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the maximum speed that any object can travel is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, for a spaceship to reach this speed, it would require an infinite amount of energy. Realistically, a relativistic spaceship would be able to travel at a fraction of the speed of light, but still significantly faster than any current spacecraft.

What happens to time on a relativistic spaceship?

As a spaceship approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, which means that time moves slower for the objects on the spaceship compared to those on Earth. This effect becomes more significant as the speed of the spaceship increases. For example, if a spaceship travels at 90% of the speed of light, time on the spaceship would move at half the rate of time on Earth.

How does a relativistic spaceship affect its surroundings?

As a relativistic spaceship moves through space, it creates a distortion in space-time known as the Lorentz contraction. This means that objects in front of the spaceship appear squished, while objects behind the spaceship appear stretched out. Additionally, the spaceship would experience an increase in mass, which would affect its trajectory and the gravitational pull it exerts on other objects.

Is a relativistic spaceship possible?

Currently, the technology to create a relativistic spaceship does not exist. However, the concept is supported by Einstein's theory of relativity, and scientists continue to explore the possibilities of space travel at near-light speeds. It is possible that in the future, advancements in technology and understanding of the laws of physics may make a relativistic spaceship a reality.